Avalon Newport Bay - Auger motor movement & noise (video inside)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jayrw

Jan 6, 2016
California
We've been hearing a random "clunk" sound from the stove as the Auger motor is working, I decided to gain access to the back and run the stove, to my surprise the motor is visibly moving as it turns and then falls down onto the metal bracket it sits in, I recorded a video showing the symptom:

Surprisingly the stove still works as intended despite this symptom, it ran all night last night without any issues.

Does this look like a difficult fix? I keep up on the maintenance as described in the manual but it doesn't mention any symptoms like this.

Avalon Newport Bay (Avanti PI), 2001 manufacture date.

Have you switched pellets? Around the same time the thunk started?

When was the last time you vacuumed out the auger flight? You may have a build up of sediment in the auger flight that is making it harder to turn...

Have you switched pellets? Around the same time the thunk started?

When was the last time you vacuumed out the auger flight? You may have a build up of sediment in the auger flight that is making it harder to turn...

I'm used to buying "Americas Best" pellets from Orchard since it's nearby, are those any good?

I've never cleaned out the auger flight area in the last 2 years Ive lived here but I'll have to get a hold of my father to see if he's ever done it (previous owner of home).

I found a service manual for the stove and it has steps on removing auger cover for inspecting / vacuum it out, requires applying high heat silicone to seal it when replacing cover which doesn't sound to difficult.

It also mentions the symptom I'm having and says the motor stop should have 2 rubber bumpers installed to prevent this clunk sound but I'm not seeing anything other than bare metal, where could the bumpers have gone? lol (maybe a revised part over the years?)

They sell the motor stop separately maybe I just need to order a new one.

hITIO1w.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.