Avalon PS 900 Switch Problem?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok so I watched the stove very close today.

The problem happens after the convection motor comes back on.

This is what happens. The convection motor shuts off for no reason, stove is on low.

Then when the convection motor decides to come back on that is when the auger motor kicks into non stop high.

So I am going to get 2 new snap discs tomorrow at my stove shop. The stove has 3 snap discs. A convection disc, a system disc, and a hopper temperature disc. I am going to get the convection disc and the system disc.

Once I replace these I will see if it fixes the problem. Hopefully I dont need a new convection motor, they are $160. If the snap discs dont fix the problem then Ill try a new convection motor.

I am keeping my fingers crossed that the snap discs will fix the issue.

Thanks a lot Scott and Smokey for all the help so far!

stoaf88 said:
This is what happens. The convection motor shuts off for no reason, stove is on low.

Sounds to me like the POF switch isn't seeing high enough temp on low to keep conv. blower on. I get that with my stove on low setting if I'm running crappy shoulder season pellets.

Yes this is most likely the cause for the motor shutting off, but why would it make the auger go on non stop high when the blower decides to come back on?

I really hope this will fix everything, hopefully the faulty disc is the whole problem.

So you do not think it is the snap discs then?

That rheostat thing looks hard to change there are so many wires crammed into that switch box.

Could you post a pic of the wiring schematic? I can trouble shoot better with it. A few things to consider. The only thing that controls the auger timing is a timing box and the resistance of the electricity going to it via the pot. If you are feeding uncontrollably....it's either one or the other or both. As with you convection fan going on and off....well that is a separate matter. The blower speed knob (rheostat) control the power going to that. In an over heat situation, there is a heat snap disc that will divert power from the rheostat control to the line voltage to power the motor on HIGH until the temp lowers...then the rheostat works again. This is all simple wiring. Remember that things do do simply choose to speed up or slow down on their own, look to the things that control them, set a benchmark and either achieve it or not. Its much harder if you are trying this stuff out for the first time but you'll gain a great understanding of what is going on by digging in. DON'T BECOME A PART SWAPPER, BECOME A SLEUTH!

Thanks again guys. Today I replaced the control box and the convection snap disc and the system snap disc.

I already had a spare control box (which houses the auger timing block) so I bought 2 snap discs and replaced all the components.

I also vacuumed out all the dusty wires inside there and sprayed everything with contact cleaner.

So If this does not fix the problem then I will need to order a whole new switch box. But I have replaced every other part in this stove and it is over 15 years old, so I dont mind just buying the parts and replacing them.

At this point the only parts that are not new are the switch box, and the hopper snap disc. The convection blower is the next oldest part, which is less than 3 years old.

Keeping my fingers crossed that this will fix my problem.

Ok well replacing the auger timing block seems to have fixed the issue of non stop running.
The convection blower is till shutting off for no reason so i am ordering a new switch box tomorrow
Thanks for the help everyone

Status
Not open for further replies.