Avalon Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sixman

Feeling the Heat
Apr 12, 2010
Central Texas
Comparing the Avalon Rainier to the Lopi Endeavor. I see that the Lopi has a bypass damper and I can see how that would make lighting, reloading and cleaning the chimney much easier. However since the Rainier is built by Travis Industries and some on here have said they are basically the same stove, does it have a bypass damper for the above mentioned reasons? I have a brochure and have read about them online and no where does it speak of a bypass damper. Figured someone out there would know.

Great observation. The Rainier does not have the bypass. A friend of ours has the Rainier insert in the lower level of their triplex. He has never complained about start up smoke. All I hear from them is how well the stove works, but they do not burn full time in it.

I am not positive, but I think the Rainier has a slightly smaller firebox than the Lopi. It doesn't have the bypass damper. I think the Avalon stoves are really neat though, and like the idea that you can change them from a freestanding to an insert or back, that seems a cool way to design them!

I don't think you can really compare the Rainer to the Endeavor, two different stoves. The Endeavor is a north to south loader and you can pack in the wood, the Rainer is a nice stove but it is east/west stove....I would choose the Endeavor every time over the Rainer. The Endeavor is an awesome stove that really pumps out the heat and burns nice and clean. The bypass damper is such a nice thing like you said for cleaning the stove/chimney pipe. Just open the damper when you clean the chimney pipe and viola all the black stuff falls into the stove nicely...no air tubes to remove, no insulation blanket to take out.....

The Endeavor will be my next stove if I move again...simply the perfect sized stove although if you need bigger the Liberty rocks as well :)

Thanks JFK, I am in the middle of installing my Endeavor this weekend. Install complete from floor to ceiling support. Now to work on the chimney tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.