Avalon Raineer loose door

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Beer Belly

Minister of Fire
Oct 26, 2011
Connecticut
Avalon Raineer purchased 2007. Is it a bad door, or bad hinge ?......how to diagnose ?.....any fix it ideas ?

First , you need to determine the condition of the hinges. Either the hinge pins on the door are worn or the receiving holes in the hinge blocks are. If the pins are removable, it may be as simple as replacing them. If the holes in the hinge blocks are worn, & they can be replaced, that what you have to do. If the blocks can’t be replaced, you will need to have them either welded & redrilled, or drilled oversize & have bushings of the correct size inserted.

First , you need to determine the condition of the hinges. Either the hinge pins on the door are worn or the receiving holes in the hinge blocks are. If the pins are removable, it may be as simple as replacing them. If the holes in the hinge blocks are worn, & they can be replaced, that what you have to do. If the blocks can’t be replaced, you will need to have them either welded & redrilled, or drilled oversize & have bushings of the correct size inserted.
Wow, both beyond my capabilities. I have a friend who has the same stove, if I can catch a time when neither of ours is fired up, I can swap doors to determine if it's the door or the hinge, if it's the door, I'll just try to order a new one. In the mean time, I'm thinking of putting a little steel wool in the holes and set the door on the hinges to see if it takes up the slack.