Avalon Rainier insert help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shockwave

Hearth Supporter
Sep 19, 2009
upstate new york
Im about to have a avalon rainier insert put in.This is 1st time with wood stove.I want this stove to be main heat for house.My house is about 1500 sqft stove say it heats 600-1800 sqft will heat make it up stairs with fans and be warm enough.And how many cords of wood should i have to heat 24hr 7 days a week?The woodstove place is selling it to me for 3,200 installed with blower.This good deal?thanks

not too sure if it's a good price or not but always plan on more wood then you need. so i'd say 4 cord min a year and if they say 600 to 1800 sq feet then plan on heating about 1/2 amount-

a free standing stove will give off much more radiant heat then than an insert - and others will ask does the price include an insulated liner

The price could be reasonable. This is a good workhorse insert. We have friends running one and it does heat well. Easy to run too.

Can you give the details about what is covered in the installation? Is this an interior or exterior chimney? Is this a full length, insulated liner? Will there be a damper blockoff plate?

As for wood, it's very late to be getting it. Often wood delivered at this time of the year is not thoroughly seasoned. And modern EPA stoves don't like damp wood. This will likely be your biggest issue unless you can find a very reputable dealer that has well-seasoned, dry wood. Before they unload the truck, take several larger splits and split them in half. If the interior face of the fresh split surface is damp, the wood is not seasoned. Hold the surface to your cheek. If it feels cool and damp, reject the load. Also, if the splits feel very heavy and go thunk when you bang them together, it could be a sign that the wood needs more seasoning. If the wood is dry and good, then you will need to store it properly so that it doesn't get wet from sitting on the ground, etc. 4-5 full cords of wood sounds about right for upstate NY.

Ya 3,200 price is everything needed to install stove.I have a brick fireplace its going in.The insert im getting is a free standing stove but I guess you take legs off and makes it a insert stove.And about the wood i just split 3 cord of wood.The trees were dead but now that you say about put wood to cheech see if its cold and wet just bumped me out cuz all the wood i just split is like that ,so I shouldnt use it?Its not wet wet but it is kind of green inside.What happens if i burn unseasoned wood?Thanks for help.

shockwave972 said:
?Its not wet wet but it is kind of green inside.What happens if i burn unseasoned wood?Thanks for help.

Cold burning, lots of creosote in the flue = very frequent cleaning with less heat.

I had mine put in last year...$3,200 is a fair price...I would burn about 4 cords...I have a 3 story 2,500 sq ft house ...it heats the 1st floor well...does not throw out as much heat as I imagined or as quickly but will heat the 1st floor quite nicely...mine sits a little bit out in the room and radiates heat well...I had to have the temp sensor replaced once...other than that it has worked well...just started using it again for this season and love it! Good luck with yours!

I had Avalon Rainer 45 degree insert installed a week or so ago - my house is about 2500 sf - stove is in family room on one end of house - keeps that room toasty as well as 3/4 of first floor warming up nicely but not at all toasty - I have been burning from around 1PM to 10PM and not much heat making it upstairs to bedrooms which I think s/b ok as we use electic blankets - not sure if this will improve with 24/7 - overall it is easy to use and glad we made the investment - my hope is to significantly lower gas bill while keeping house lot more comfortable and eliminating battles over thermostat - good luck !

Status
Not open for further replies.