AVALON RAINIER INSERT ON THE WAY

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Llamaman

Hearth Supporter
Oct 6, 2009
MA
I have a new Avalon Rainier insert on the way.....and I am getting psyched! Couple of questions from a rookie:
I have a good pile of very seasoned hardwood ready but want to know if I can mix in some less seasoned hardwood and pine? If so any tips would be appreciated. Will also get another cord or two of "seasoned" wood from dealer this year but am actively scrounging dead wood from town forest, dump etc.

How much heat will this baby crank and how much of my 2500 sf house can I heat this winter - it will be in a 500 sf family room on one end of my cape with two doors open to sunroom and living room - not too concerned about heating the two upstairs bedrooms that total about 600sf but should they get some benefit? Insert will extend onto hearth and have the blower kit.

What is the learning curve for new user? Any tips, comments etc would be great - I have been thinking of pulling the trigger for a couple of years and value all the experts on Hearth.com!

Rainer is a good stove, but you as I am sure you know you won't be able to heat all of the 2500 sq ft with the Rainer. The Olympic would do that but I am sure you did your research and bought the Rainer because you didn't need to heat the whole house.

First thing, you can mix seasoned wood with unseasoned wood but split the unseasoned would into smaller pieces, it will dry faster so I would say do it now. How unseasoned is it BTW. Be careful if it is freshly cut as water in the wood means smoke and smoke means creosote...don't want that now with a new stove.

Next, it will take some time to learn how to get an overnight burn. The Rainer is mid sized stove but at 1.9? for firebox size it will be tough to get that long burn, again if you want that overnight heat...some people don't need it.

Start by cutting your splits smaller both seasoned and unseasoned so you can really stuff that firebox, of course you will need to do some smaller burns right of the bat to cure the paint.

The Rainer is a great stove so if you get good wood in it, she will burn very hot and very clean :)

the Olympic was too large for my fireplace opening so went with the Rainier which should fit per the stove shop - getting the 45 degree model which sits out further on the hearth which is elevated about 6" or so - I realize we will still need to use the furnace but and wondering how much of my first floor will warm up - it's probably about 1700-1800 sf but the rooms closest to the family room with the insert are approx 1200 sf and I am hoping we can get those pretty warm once we get the hang of things - will try the fan trick to blow cold air from other rooms into the large room where stove is

thanks for the tips on smaller splits - guess time will tell about overnight burns as I realize the firebox is borderline

it's in and ready to fire up tonight - funny story, came home for lunch yesterday to check out the install and as I was having sandwich heard chainsaws in the neighborhood - my neighbor had tree guys cutting down large dead hardwood tree so I went over and gave the guys some lunch/beer money and next thing I had about half cord of "standing dead" in my growing inventory!

I also was able to add my photo/avitar

How is the Rainier working out for you? I am interested in a Lopi with a slightly bigger firebox but the Ranier might work too... anyone know what all they are running MSRP with a blower and a surround? (compared with Lopi Republic 1750i at $2130 or Lopi Regency at $2700)

We are having a friend do the install and we're buying the liner separate. But If they have a Ranier in the stove shop we might consider that too. Just curious what they run compared to the "sister brand." THere's a really nice Avalon Pendleton on Craigslist, brand new looking, but that one's too small for us I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.