Avalon Settings

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

earl764

Dec 21, 2011
CT
Hello,

I'm curious to know what settings folks w/ Avalon stoves are using.

I have an Avalon Astoria Bay insert installed in 10/2011. I've been having issues with it. Each time I think I have it solved, the issue reappears.

Basic synopsis: The fire goes out and pellets end up piling up.

I've checked the seals, all the places for ash, etc. All I haven't done is actually disconnect the stove and pull it out of the fireplace to check exhaust connections. I have an appt. w/ the dealer to come by in earlier January.

A lot of other stoves seem to have different settings. 1-10, etc. The avalon has low/med/high. You then need to adjust the restrictor to suit.

I try to run in high at all times since that's supposed to be the most efficient. The issue I end up having is that, one restrictor setting works great all night one night, then it doesn't work the next night.

Should you need to adjust this based on outside weather? Colder or windier?

Right now I'm running on high with the restrictor set at 4.5. There times I've run it on high at 1.5 with no clinkers.

Enough pellets get dropped in and I have a good flame for awhile. Then it seems to go down as some are dropped in. Sometimes it doesn't recover and goes out.

The problem seems to appear 2 hours or so after running the unit.

At one point I thought I had a bad batch of pellets. I was using new england. I went to lowes to grab another brand, green supreme. Same basic results.

When the auger light is on I do get pellets. I've tried so many things at this point I feel like I've blown through all my theories. Hoping someone else has seen this.

It's also possible I have some other fault that the tech will find in early January.

I found a service manual online, but it seems to be for the previous model. A lot of the design shown doesn't exist on my model. Door hinge configuration, etc. Does anyone have the service manual for this? I'd really be interested to see how the air intake works/where it is. I have 5 cats, which equals a lot of fur. perhaps it's clogged?

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.