axe handle fire last night

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dvellone

Feeling the Heat
Sep 21, 2006
As I've broken an axe, mattox, sledge or other sizable handle over the years I've been loath to toss the remains thinking that that nicely formed handle would come in handy some day for some project (my father was a child of the depression and passed on his values to me).
Yesterday as I was running around doing some last minute winter preparations outdoors - putting away anything that would get lost under the snow and then find it's way into the snowthrower auger - I spied the pile of handles which for all my best intentions had truly become a pile. Now, I have to say here that I have this small obsession with not tapping into my woodshed until December 1st even though it holds a bit more than a full season's heating supply, so I scrounge and burn all my scrap from woodworking projects - mostly softwood- and the half rotted low-grade stuff I don't want to fill the shed with until the last of November. And hence one of the most beautiful and hot fires I've had in a while. It was my first opportunity to burn hickory and I'm a convert, though unfortunately there's none to be found around my property. Maybe I need to replace those handles before they break!

Nice, solid, well-seasoned hickory burns great. I might have a broken baseball bat fire one of these days. Baseball bats are normally Ash, I think.

My son is a rock drummer, and he goes through a lot of good, dense hickory drumsticks in the course of a year. Maybe I'll have him save them all for me and have a hickory stick fire myself.

Before I got splitting mauls with fiberglass and iron handles, I used to break alot of hickory handles. So many that the wife
said (jokingly) "hey why don't you just buy truckloads of handles and burn them"? Hmmmm, that might be a good idea....

Status
Not open for further replies.