Axle for Utility Trailer- What cars?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RegencyNS

Feb 13, 2008
Atlantic Canada
I am looking for an axle from car or van that I can use for an axle on a utility trailer to save some dough. I have heard a rear axle from a dodge caravan will work. I am then going to go with the 3500lbs springs and shackles. Anybody know of any other cars?

I have an 88 caravan. They have solid rear striaght axle and leaf springs, but I would not put 3500 lb springs on them. Don't know about newer ones.
Plus, you would have issues hooking up brakes.
If you are just making a homeowner light utility trailer, I'd use the car parts and springs.
Anything heavier, I would bit the bullet and buy the new axle, with hubs and brakes. That could be 1/3 of the cost of a premade trailer though.
I have a 1 ton pickup box and frame cut down as trailer, used for 25 years. Ugly, cheap, rugged, but can't store it in the city..... I also have a 5x10 enclosed trailer for motorcycles that is 'city acceptable'.

Status
Not open for further replies.