Baby Bear Cathedral Door

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Desmond

Mar 12, 2017
Kingston, Ontario, Canada
Hi, I just purchased a baby bear with a cathedral door. I believe it's an early 80's model. My question is.. how long is the rod on the inside of the door that strikes the wedge to close the door supposed to be? Mine is only about 2" long and the end is quite distorted like it has been burnt off. Do you think that's possible?

It only needs to reach the wedge. Adjustment is by bending the rod (heated with torch, not cold) until the correct angle of handle is achieved. It should be angled when latched as shown below;

Baby Napa VI front.jpg When the handle is closer to the 3 o'clock position, the rod needs to be bent closer to a 90* angle again to close tighter. An extreme case allows the rod to slip over the wedge. If you don't have a welder, the door can be removed easily and taken to a weld shop to have it lengthened easily.

Some are quite short and look worn off as you describe, but they seem to work fine;

Baby 6.jpg

I have some stoves that were used hard, and others barely used, and the latch rod doesn't show any wear from heating or abuse on the stoves I know were used as the only heat source for years. Papa Bears would get far hotter inside and they don't seem to suffer from heat either.

Papa 4.jpg This should have seen much more heat than a Baby Bear latch and looks like new.

Could it be possible that the latch was adjusted too tight (difficult to start on the wedge) and someone ground some off instead of straightening the rod slightly to loosen it? I find most problems with stoves are self induced. (by the prior owner in your case) The last pic is an example of what it should look like. That's an old style latch that doesn't use the lift up, open a bit, rotate down, to open door that slows the opening of door to improve draft by opening slowly.

Thanks Coaly. I'll try to adjust it a bit so it doesn't seem so hard to close. I've been looking for a baby bear for my little cabin for what seems like years. They were either in too rough a shape or so far away that it didn't seem worth it to go get them. I thought I would get one and maybe add some heat shields to it, so I was delighted to get this one when I realized the heat shields were already in place!

Woodman's Associates called Woodman's Parts Plus.
3 1/2" long
Brass # RH-LDB
Nickel # RH-LDN

To remove, turn with pliers using the last thread of spring farthest down the handle. This opens the spring as you turn to release its grip on the handle rod. Simply screw on by hand.