back draft Englander 55-shp10 L

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rad3110

Hearth Supporter
Oct 11, 2007
Long Island NY
for the second time I ve had a very bad smoke condition eminate from my stove. Both times the stove was in start up mode, both time the pellets were igniting. I got called away and place the stove in shut down mode. now the pellets continued to burn but the exaust blower didnt continue to exaust the smoke until the pellets had completely cooled/exstinguished. The smoke from the burning pellets filled the room. Heavy smoke. I thought the stove had a sensor that ran the exaust blower until the internal tempeture dropped to 90 degrees. I have two of these models and have never experienced the problem with my second stove. If anything the exaust blower on my 2nd stove runs for a long time. Im ok with that safety 1st. I P.M. Mike Holton, but figured I through it out there just the same.

I've found that it's kind of a crap-shoot with stove behavior when you shutdown during or shortly after the startup phase. My Enviro Mini did the smoke thing this twice before I got a handle on it. I had it on a auto-setback thermostat, with stove in on/off mode. Thermostat called for heat, and just as the flame established the thermostat hit the set-back time. The POF (Proof of flame) temp sensor had not yet gotten up to temp, so the auger and exhaust blower simply shut off immediately, with resultant smoke in house.

I've since upgraded my control board to a newer design, and this one behaves much more conservatively in this regard. Once the startup cycle is initiated, and if interrupted, the exhaust blower appears to stay on for a long enough time for complete burn of what's in the pot, regardless of the POF sensor state.

Carl

I would say during startup mode the exhaust temp may have not yet tripped the exhaust sensor. Putting it in shutdown too early maybe causing this issue. The stove doesn't think there is a fire yet. You would think there would be a warning in the manual if this is the case. Or maybe there is a software issue with the main board(my Enviro Omega will still turn the exhaust blower on high and run for about 5 minutes to be sure the fire has died out).

These are All guess's on my part. But until something is addressed I wouldn't just shut the stove down. Let it go to complete run mode before you shut it down. This should only take a couple of extra minutes to do. I am sure Mike will chime in and assist here.

Be safe!
jay

Status
Not open for further replies.