Back in the pellet stove business

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Snowy Rivers

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Feb 7, 2010
NW Oregon
Well
I was cruising the local ads today and found a Waterford pellet stove VERY VERY CHEAP.

So negotiated the deal and will likely get it home in a few days.

Sounds like it needs a good cleaning and possibly a little loving.

The feed light blinks but the feed motor does not run. Hmmmm several things can cause this that are not spendy to fix.

Any luck, I can clean this little critter up and move it to a new home for a nice profit.

Snowy

Pictures or it didn't happen! ;-) Should be a fun project for you! I know you'll keep us interested!

Snowy Rivers said:
Well
I was cruising the local ads today and found a Waterford pellet stove VERY VERY CHEAP.

So negotiated the deal and will likely get it home in a few days.

Sounds like it needs a good cleaning and possibly a little loving.

The feed light blinks but the feed motor does not run. Hmmmm several things can cause this that are not spendy to fix.

Any luck, I can clean this little critter up and move it to a new home for a nice profit.

Snowy

That's cool Snowy. That is what I am doing. How old is the Waterford? You can still get parts from Wood heat Stoves and Solar.

I have to be careful how much I pay and how much I spend. Many people want auto ignite. Give it a good cleaning and lube all the motors and bushings first. I had a convection fan in the Pelpro I fixed up that did not start. Found out all it needed was some liquid Wrench Spray Dry Lubricant that leaves no residue on the Fan Motor bushing and it works like a champ!!

Here are my after pics >> https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/83929/

Take a before picture first!!
Here is my before pic

P.S. If you plan to paint it let me know. I have tons of advice on that too. :)

Attachments

• Back in the pellet stove business
    CLAcuraIIstove.jpg
    7.2 KB · Views: 764
Not sure of the age.

I use a yard stick of "Condition is everything, age means little"

This little Waterford is nearly Identical to my Whitfield Prodigy 2, at least on the inside.

The controls, fans, fire pot and such were all bought from Whitfield and installed in a cast iron stove casing.

The story is that it just quit and will not feed pellets.

The feed light goes on and off as it should but no feed.

These have a pressure switch as well as a door switch and a high and low limit switch.

Will not take much to diagnose the problem.

I got an email from the guy a bit ago and it looks like we are set to deal this weekend.

Pellet stoves that are advertised as NON working don't sell well here.

Hopefully I can get this little jewel up and flying and find it a new home and turn a few $$$$

I have done this before and it's usually well worth my while.

I will keep things posted as they happen.

Heck if nothing else, I probably have another corner that I could stick a 4th stove in. :lol:

Snowy

Snowy Rivers said:
Not sure of the age.

I use a yard stick of "Condition is everything, age means little"

This little Waterford is nearly Identical to my Whitfield Prodigy 2, at least on the inside.

The controls, fans, fire pot and such were all bought from Whitfield and installed in a cast iron stove casing.

The story is that it just quit and will not feed pellets.

The feed light goes on and off as it should but no feed.

These have a pressure switch as well as a door switch and a high and low limit switch.

Will not take much to diagnose the problem.

I got an email from the guy a bit ago and it looks like we are set to deal this weekend.

Pellet stoves that are advertised as NON working don't sell well here.

Hopefully I can get this little jewel up and flying and find it a new home and turn a few $$$$

I have done this before and it's usually well worth my while.

I will keep things posted as they happen.

Heck if nothing else, I probably have another corner that I could stick a 4th stove in. :lol:

Snowy

Hi Snowy
That's great, if it works like a Whitfield, then it should be worth fixing up!!!

Does it need new firebrick or a Paint Job?

Does it look like this one in the pic below? Do you think it will be worth $500 or more fixed up?

Attachments

WhitfieldProdigyII.jpg
    6.7 KB · Views: 653

Attachments

WhitfieldRenaissanceWoodPelletStove.jpg
    6.3 KB · Views: 904
Not sure about the Paint or much else at this point other than the guy told me that the stove castings are good with no cracks anywhere.

If it had cracks in anything it would not be work fiddling with..

The stove looks like the one in the picture posted.

The little Waterford used mostly the same "Guts" as the Whitfield Prodigy 2 I believe.

We have a Prodigy 2 and its a great "Little" stove.

This deal is still in "Flux" and has not totally come together yet.

Myself and the other party are in agreement on the price and have agreed that I would pick it up this weekend.

The exact time has not been nailed down just yet.

I am hopeful that this can work out.

From what I can see, a good cleaning is probably all it needs.

The guy says that the red light goes on and off but nothing else.

These stoves have a door switch which must be closed or they will not feed.

The room air fan is also used via a shunt tube to act as a draft inducer too.
There is a small exhaust fan in the upper casting that aids in the operation.

The early whitfield Prodigy (first series) did not have this top fan and the stove HAD to have a tall chimney to get the things to draft.

You could not direct vent the early versions.

I am not sure on the Waterford as to whether they had an early version without the exhaust fan.

The fire brick looks to be OK in the Piccy that I have seen of the unit.

Still sketchy on the overall.

The guy told me that it stopped working and he just replaced it with a new one.

Something about being in a rental and he had no time to fool with it.

Hmmmm, A renter that maybe has not cleaned it, or simply does not know how to fiddle with a manual lite pellet stove.

This model (Small Whit and waterford) were a tad fussy to get going unless you knew how.

We shall see.

Snowy

Don

Is that Piccy of a Whitfield Prodigy 2 ????

Sure looks like it. Thats what I installed in our living room. Great "Little Stove"

Perfect for a small area or as a Helper.

Ours gets used when we need just a little heat, or when the big whit can't quite keep up and also during cleaning time to keep the house from cooling off too much while the big boy cools down and gets cleaned out.

The other piccy posted of the Renaisance is more like the one I am dealing on.

Snowy

Snowy Rivers said:
Don

Is that Piccy of a Whitfield Prodigy 2 ????

Sure looks like it. Thats what I installed in our living room. Great "Little Stove"

Perfect for a small area or as a Helper.

Ours gets used when we need just a little heat, or when the big whit can't quite keep up and also during cleaning time to keep the house from cooling off too much while the big boy cools down and gets cleaned out.

The other piccy posted of the Renaissance is more like the one I am dealing on.

Snowy

Hi Snowy
Thanks for explaining that. Yes the first pic posted is a Whitfield Prodigy 2
So the Waterford looks more like the Whitfield Renaissance. That is what I thought. Looks like a nice stove to work on.
If it needs paint, then Black enamel should be good. I have been only refurbishing steel stoves so far. Cast Stoves are sooooo heavy!!

I bet that Waterford weighs a few pounds?

Well, so much for the little waterford.

It turned out to be in far worse shape than was advertised and not worth fooling with.

I will keep my eyes open for another to repair and turn over.

One persons idea of nice is not always my idea.

Later troops

Snowy

Snowy Rivers said:
Well, so much for the little waterford.

It turned out to be in far worse shape than was advertised and not worth fooling with.

I will keep my eyes open for another to repair and turn over.

One persons idea of nice is not always my idea.

Later troops

Snowy

Hi Snowy

That's too bad but you probably made the right decision. I try to get a stove no more that 3 years old except if it has all the features, I will go 5 years in some cases. I am getting more experience with stoves now and some stoves no matter what the age are just not worth it!!

I can see why you like Whitfields, The design of my Avalon Astoria was copied from them!! Good design and a very sturdy stove!

Enviro Stoves are worth fixing. You just have to make a list of what is features and condition is good and stick by it!

Good luck and please do not give up. I know you can make a few good $$$ with your technical abilities!!!!

Any stove is worth fixing, but if you are trying to sell it...you gotta find a buyer. Their perception is likely much different.

I'm a big fan of the older Whits and Englanders for resale. Snowy, have you ever come across an Altair? Self cleaning exchangers and very good components. They stole the best stuff from everybody and made a great stove for about 4 years. You can get them cheap cause there is not support for them anywhere...

Status
Not open for further replies.