Back to back fireplaces

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

74makoLKN

Nov 24, 2015
North Carolina
Does anyone have or know where to find a diagram of a back-to-back fireplace?

I've got a fireplace in my living room and in my bedroom that share the same Chimney with a wythe running up the middle. I'd like to understand better how this fireplace was constructed.

This is not a pass through fireplace. There are two fireboxes with a masonry wall between them. Home was built in the 1920s. Thanks for any help.

Does anyone have or know where to find a diagram of a back-to-back fireplace?

I've got a fireplace in my living room and in my bedroom that share the same Chimney with a wythe running up the middle. I'd like to understand better how this fireplace was constructed.

This is not a pass through fireplace. There are two fireboxes with a masonry wall between them. Home was built in the 1920s. Thanks for any help.
There really is no way for us to know how it would be constructed and any diagram we would find would not be accurate to your fireplaces at all. I would have a sweep out to inspect it and they should be able to give you a better understanding of how they are made.

You will have to investigate, possibly from both above at the roof and below at the fireplace. Ideally the flues are separate all the way to the top and are lined. Many older homes flues were combined at some point above the fireplace.

Not sure if this will help - here is what I know:
(1) Chimney has been rebuilt from roof up
(2) there are 2 flues
(3) both unlined, old masonry, no full bricks loose but lots of debris in firebox
(4) from below it looks like the smoke chambers twist up the Chimney in opposite directions - one twists right, other twists left.

I posted a long time ago about trying to install a wood stove and use this Chimney to put a liner in. I'd like to remove some brick from the back of the firebox in the living room without the wythe falling in. The goal being to open up where a damper would go (there is not a damper) so I can fit the liner down.

Pretty sure I'm gonna have to hire it done. But I was quoted around $10k for the job and can't afford that right now.

Pretty sure I'm gonna have to hire it done. But I was quoted around $10k for the job and can't afford that right now.
get some more quotes. If they are all that high then you know your job is really that hard and involved

Status
Not open for further replies.