Back To Firewood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
I had a load of Cherry in the wagon I brought out a couple of weeks ago (two years old cut and split then stacked in the woods) that needed to be cut down which I did then we had another load of Beech and Maple (four years old.. three years stacked in the sun & wind) so I cut that down to 14.75.

Attached are some pictures, picture 3681 is the hung dead maple we cut then split a month or so ago and picture 3682 is that same maple stacked over two year old cherry. We have about three cord (guess) that needs splitting and stacking so it looks like during the week I'll be doing that then milling on the weekends.

zap

Attachments

• 100_3676.jpg
    100_3676.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 680
  • 100_3677.jpg
    100_3677.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 675
  • 100_3678.jpg
    100_3678.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 663
  • 100_3679.jpg
    100_3679.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 667
  • 100_3680.jpg
    100_3680.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 672
  • 100_3681.jpg
    100_3681.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 674
  • 100_3682.jpg
    100_3682.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 664
Can I have some?!? That is some great looking firewood.

Zap, I can feel the BTU's all the way up here, sweet lookin stuff

Wow, I had no idea that Black Cherry would actually turn black after a couple years! :lol: Mine is slowly getting darker but it's nowhere near black. It was stacked only a couple of weeks ago, so I'm hoping for good drying weather this fall. I'm hoping this stuff will dry faster than even Ash, but I don't know if that's the case. Got another blowdown Cherry yesterday, about 13". That'll be split and stacked in the next few days.

Woody Stover said:
Wow, I had no idea that Black Cherry would actually turn black after a couple years! :lol: Mine is slowly getting darker but it's nowhere near black. It was stacked only a couple of weeks ago, so I'm hoping for good drying weather this fall. I'm hoping this stuff will dry faster than even Ash, but I don't know if that's the case. Got another blowdown Cherry yesterday, about 13". That'll be split and stacked in the next few days.

Sounds like you have been busy, the first year we burned wood (cherry) it was seasoned for 6-7 months in a bad summer, I ended up having to resplit it so it was down to 22 percent moisture content after being inside for a week.

zap

That stack in the second pic isn't out on the curb with the trash is it?

SolarAndWood said:
That stack in the second pic isn't out on the curb with the trash is it?

Most of that was cut down but we had about 10 splits that had zilch for weight so they will be burned outside this winter.

zap

Great pics as usual Zap! I like the clever firewood cutting rack you made so all your wood is the right length!

Ray

raybonz said:
Great pics as usual Zap! I like the clever firewood cutting rack you made so all your wood is the right length!

Ray

Yes! I may make one today, I have over a cord of small rounds (3-4") that I need to lop off 2-3 inches.

Gosh Zap, here it is only August and already I'm starting to get the urge to start cutting again. But I'm sure that feeling will soon be overcome and I won't cut until December.

Backwoods Savage said:
Gosh Zap, here it is only August and already I'm starting to get the urge to start cutting again. But I'm sure that feeling will soon be overcome and I won't cut until December.

I hear that Dennis, here it's around 80 and I am home alone so it's break in fire time here lol... Break out the beers!

Ray

zapny said:
the first year we burned wood (cherry) it was seasoned for 6-7 months in a bad summer, I ended up having to resplit it so it was down to 22 percent moisture content after being inside for a week.
That's not bolstering my confidence that the Cherry will be dry after only three months. I did split small, so maybe there's some hope. Just in case, I'll be looking for some small dead trees that will be dry already, and dry upper branches in some bigger stuff. I got a couple of small Elms recently that were at 16%. We've got about a cord of dry stuff to start out on, and another half cord of Ash that was stacked 7/3. We burn 2-2.5 cords per year, so we'll make it OK. I'd been fretting about the wood situation, until I realized that we're still far ahead of where we've ever been before. We used to stack dead Red Oak in Sept. or Oct. :lol:

weatherguy said:
raybonz said:

Ray

Yes! I may make one today, I have over a cord of small rounds (3-4") that I need to lop off 2-3 inches.

I started cutting before we ever had or thought about a woodstove, most of that wood was cut 17-18 inches long. This year should be the last year I cut anymore wood down, after that all the wood should be about 14.75.

zap

Backwoods Savage said:

Even though the time off has been nice, I need to get back in the woods and do some cutting.

zap

rottiman said:

Had some nice btu's going last night with some nice dry Cherry in the Lopi, it almost seems we will have a early start on winter this year.

zap

We had a couple cooler days and nights but it warmed back up. Really muggy right now. Rain in the forecast but looks like it is a ways from us yet.

Backwoods Savage said:
We had a couple cooler days and nights but it warmed back up. Really muggy right now. Rain in the forecast but looks like it is a ways from us yet.

Cool this way Sav, 63 degrees at the moment and just came inside from a small walk in the woods which was nice.

zap

zapny said:
rottiman said:

Had some nice btu's going last night with some nice dry Cherry in the Lopi, it almost seems we will have a early start on winter this year.

zap

Who knows Zap, you might see some of the storm coming up the coast depending on the track............

rottiman said:
zapny said:
rottiman said:

zap

Who knows Zap, you might see some of the storm coming up the coast depending on the track............

Here is what they have for a track for the hurricane this morning.

zap

Attachments

• map_tropprjpath09_ltst_5nhato_enus_600x405.jpg
    map_tropprjpath09_ltst_5nhato_enus_600x405.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 129
You might luck out there Zap, but keep an eye on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.