Back-up Sensors/Systems

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thinkxingu

Minister of Fire
Jun 3, 2007
S.NH
Hi All,
With the new truck, my wife's struggling to back up without hitting the garage door, dog, kids, you know---stuff! Any suggestions on aftermarket kits? I don't think I care about a monitor--my buddy's Titan's system just changes beeps as it gets closer--I think that would be fine.

S

I know what you mean about the monitor. I would say it's just another gadget but I also say you got to see the guy your fighting :lol: So give some thought to getting a back up camera. I am going to get one for my dump truck to make it easier to hook up the chipper on dark and rainy nights when I'm so tired I can't see! :)

I have an aftermarket Kenwood head unit/monitor in my dump truck and I use a Kenwood back-up camera nearly every day in the summer season. Perfect for hooking up trailers. Gives a wide angle view and even at night it illuminates any light to make seeing behind the truck really easily. Expensive for everything but you can do some research and probably find a much cheaper set-up.

My wife used a sensor called the trailer hitch on my truck. When it went through the door she stopped. :ahhh:

My truck has the beeping gizmo. Like it just fine, but I would go with aftermarket camera if I were you. Cost is probably equal and camera is much nicer for hooking a trailer.

I hadn't really thought too much about hooking up the trailer, but I suppose if I'm going to install something I should get the best of both worlds. Has anyone had experience with the license plate cam, tailgate handle cam, or emblem cams?

S

Whatever you get be sure that the rear end device is small, hard to see, and harder to damage. I like the looks of the very small license plate cams. Plus they are right down there next to the hitch.

How do you guys hit garage doors? Are you in the garage and forget to open the door before leaving? Maybe the fumes are getting to you from running the engine inside the closed garage. Are you backing into the closed garage doors? How about pulling nose in like everybody else? I must be doing something right since I never back into anything except the trailer tongue.

BrotherBart said:
My wife used a sensor called the trailer hitch on my truck. When it went through the door she stopped. :ahhh:

Hehheh . . . thanks for the laugh Bart. :)

Highbeam said:
Whatever you get be sure that the rear end device is small, hard to see, and harder to damage. I like the looks of the very small license plate cams. Plus they are right down there next to the hitch.

How do you guys hit garage doors? Are you in the garage and forget to open the door before leaving? Maybe the fumes are getting to you from running the engine inside the closed garage. Are you backing into the closed garage doors? How about pulling nose in like everybody else? I must be doing something right since I never back into anything except the trailer tongue.

Well in my case . . . well two cases . . . it was backing up my wife's car and forgetting to put the door up AND not looking behind me . . . after repairing the door for the second time I pretty much cured myself of not putting up the door and looking each and every time.

Status
Not open for further replies.