backdraft prob with the whistler century stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

B-rad9504

Hearth Supporter
Feb 27, 2010
ky
Well i am new to this site and i need help. I just bought the whistler century wood stove for my pole barn and am having a backldraft prob. The stove pipe runs out the top for 4 foot into a 90 then 3 foot horizontail into another 90 then up for 2 foot with a rain cap. i have tryed light the fire in this stove and am having noluck whatsoever. It has made very angry

Welcome to the forum!

So you have a total of 6 feet of vertical pipe with a 3 foot horizontal section? It's no surprise that this isn't working for you. Most stoves require a minimum of something like 15 feet of vertical, and then the horizontal section will aggravate an already bad situation.

The 3 foot "horizontal" section should not be perfectly horizontal. There should be some rise to that section, as much as you can put into it.

Don't get angry with the stove, get angry with whoever convinced you that this would work. Get someone out there who can help you to assess the whole situation and get a proper flue set up for you.

Dan

Welcome to the forum Brad.

Yes, horizontal sections must have a minimum of 1/4" rise per foot. Most stoves require a minimum of 13' and then you can add 2-3' for each elbow.

One thing you might try is to put a 45 in (rather than a 90) right above or at the stove and another 45 above that. It would certainly take away a lot of the effect of the horizontal. I'd also add some chimney above the roof.

Good luck.

Thnaks for the welcome guys i appreiciate it. One of my buddys redffered me to this site and said there was alot of good info on here. I got the stove going last night after i had posted my questoin but was still having backdraft coming out the vents across the front of my stove. But you guys have answered why this set up is not working. I had another questoin and wanted your thoughts on it. Do you guys think i should just run a total vertical stove pipe chimmney and eleminate what i have or do you think it is possible for the setup i have with some changes would benefit me? Another thing i want to add even though i am a inexperienced user at wood stoves at this moment the adjutable 90s arent worth the 7 bucks your pay for them i wouldnt give 50 cents for these things.

thanks for the help guys hope i am not much of a pain! Brad

Brad, running totally vertical definitely is best, especially for your set up. I'd try that and see how the draft is; you just might find it provides you with enough. When I put up our present chimney I ended up going shorter than 13' and it has not been a problem. With our other stove it was a problem but not with this one.

I really like the adjustable elbows as you can get any angle you want. They do not cost that much more and last just as long too.

No, you are not a pain!

First step. Follow the manual, especially pages 12-17 for the flue installation. A wood stove can be a dangerous force when incorrectly installed. Post some pictures here of the situation and we may be able to offer the best solution.

Note what they say about connector pipe vs the chimney. The connector pipe and it's elbows should not be ordinary 26 ga sheetmetal ducting metal.
"Your chimney connector (commonly called stove pipe) and chimney must have the same diameter
as the stove’s exhaust outlet. The stove pipe must be made of aluminized or cold roll steel with a
minimum 24-gauge thickness (0.021" or 0.53 mm). It is strictly forbidden to use galvanized steel."

Well guys thanks for the advice about going totally vertical it worked out great. I have awesome draft now it pulls very hard and no backdraft coming out of the front vents at all. i ran 6 foot of stove pipe up into a 3 foot section of triple wall piping which goes through the roof and then 4 more foot on top of that which put the stove pipe about 2 and 1/2 foot above my roof peak. It is working awesome i have it going now and it working great just watching things to make sure everything is going to work out. Some guys have told me to watch where the triple wall piping runs through the roof the first couple of burns as a precaution. Thanks for your help guys i appreciate it.

brad

Always good to hear that someone had a positive experience due to the help received on this site. Over the past couple months, I've been like a sponge on this site. The members here are very knowledgeable and helpful. Good luck with your stove Brad!

Thanks for posting back Brad. Good to hear that it's working well for you now. Stay safe and warm.

Status
Not open for further replies.