Canvas Wall Tent with old Woodland Stove need pipe help.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

idahogal

Nov 26, 2023
Idaho
I'm building a wall tent like this
https://denforourcubs.wordpress.com/2017/11/27/we-live-in-a-tent/

I have an older Woodland, I'm not sure of the model. Single door, 27inch stove. I think I found the ad on here in another thread but I can't find it right now.

It has a 6" flue. The wall tent and fly tarp both have a stove jack in them. I am somewhat considering also putting a silicone stove jack in as I will have to cut a little further into the fabric to fit the insulated pipe.
This is the stove jack in the tent https://www.walltentshop.com/products/adaptive-stove-jack-with-flap

Is this pipe ok? I need 12' total. I can't seem to find the pipe rain cover for it though
https://www.menards.com/main/heatin...nt-pipe/dsp6p36-1/p-1444453720169-c-19451.htm

This is the rain cap menards sells, but I thought it's not good to mix parts

Hmmm…very cool to live in a tent but not a fan of a wood stove in one. Not saying it can’t be done but makes me nervous. You are in Utah? Get a bit cold there so understand the questions about a wood stove. Someone on here much more experienced with installs will likely chime in.

Wood stoves in tents are fine. Have you ever had a wood stove in a tent?

To the OP, I would sell that old stove and buy a purpose-built wood stove and chimney that fits your tent. There are many available.

No and I would not want to. Everyone is allowed their opinion last I checked.

Hmmm…very cool to live in a tent but not a fan of a wood stove in one.
Quite common for hot tents and Yurts.

You are in Utah?
Really?

1701094500676.png

Reactions: idahogal
Well, since I have some experience living in outfitter's tents (that's what we call them around here) with wood stoves in them I would say that my opinion is valid.

I like the idea of the double wall pipe if you are customizing the jack in the tent roof. It will help with creosote build up which can be a problem in tents since they usually in single wall pipe rather than class A on the exterior.
Single wall pipe outside the tent when it’s 8 degrees F can collect some crud.

You likely won’t find a cap made to fit double wall stove pipe, but could rig one with an adapter.

The double wall 6” won’t fit your 6” jack since double wall will be closer to 7” or 7.25” outside diameter. But if you can customize it or get a special ordered jack flap…maybe.

Our tent has a 5” jack and single wall nesting pipe is snug.

IMG_1306.jpegIMG_1263.jpeg

Last edited:
Our tent is very similar to yours, but needs an exterior a-frame with a ridgepole.

We lived in one in northern canada from april to november over 30 years ago. We still have that 12 x 14' tent...

I have stayed in tents in the dead of winter many times. A decent wood stove setup keeps it toasty even at -30, although frost is a bit of an issue. Those setups were not mine, so I'm unsure of the creosote concern with single wall chimneys. I don't think any of those several tents had insulated chimneys.

To the OP, I would sell that old stove and buy a purpose-built wood stove and chimney that fits your tent. There are many available.
There are lots of stove tents, but they are much thinner (burn out faster, plus go through more wood) and most come with single wall pipe which would be exactly the same as if I bought single wall 6" vs 5"?

Our tent is very similar to yours, but needs an exterior a-frame with a ridgepole.

We lived in one in northern canada from april to november over 30 years ago. We still have that 12 x 14' tent...

I have stayed in tents in the dead of winter many times. A decent wood stove setup keeps it toasty even at -30, although frost is a bit of an issue. Those setups were not mine, so I'm unsure of the creosote concern with single wall chimneys. I don't think any of those several tents had insulated chimneys.
Thank you for this. I'm super paranoid about catching myself on fire, ha!

I like the idea of the double wall pipe if you are customizing the jack in the tent roof. It will help with creosote build up which can be a problem in tents since they usually in single wall pipe rather than class A on the exterior.
Single wall pipe outside the tent when it’s 8 degrees F can collect some crud.

You likely won’t find a cap made to fit double wall stove pipe, but could rig one with an adapter.

The double wall 6” won’t fit your 6” jack since double wall will be closer to 7” or 7.25” outside diameter. But if you can customize it or get a special ordered jack flap…maybe.

Our tent has a 5” jack and single wall nesting pipe is snug.

View attachment 319601View attachment 319602
Yes. my jack isn't exactly like yours, no rubber ring, which is why I was considering adding a flashing/jack kit with the silicone. 1. to help hold the pipe more stable and 2. just for more peace of mind. I can cut into my jack fabric to fit the insulated pipe. I mostly just want to know if the pipe link above is what I need. I'm sort of confused looking through them all. Also, why wouldn't they need a cap? What about rain, birds, etc? And wouldn't it help with sparks?
Thanks!

Pretty sure that any double wall chimney pipe has caps available? Or what?

And yes, you need a cap. I would be particularly worried about sparks with a short stack.

I wouldn't put a silicone boot contacting even an insulated "a"-vent pipe, especially very close to the stove, where undoubtedly yours will be.

Look into a spacer sleeve and a storm collar setup. That's what you need at your roof line. You could even just surround your "a"-vent pipe with an additional vented collar all the way from the stove top (separated/isolated from the stove) to outside the tent with a storm collar on top of that.

And utilizing a real stove is a good idea, of course.

Pretty sure that any double wall chimney pipe has caps available? Or what?

And yes, you need a cap. I would be particularly worried about sparks with a short stack.

I wouldn't put a silicone boot contacting even an insulated "a"-vent pipe, especially very close to the stove, where undoubtedly yours will be.

Look into a spacer sleeve and a storm collar setup. That's what you need at your roof line. You could even just surround your "a"-vent pipe with an additional vented collar all the way from the stove top (separated/isolated from the stove) to outside the tent with a storm collar on top of that.

And utilizing a real stove is a good idea, of course.
I don't know about the double wall cap, just someone said above that they aren't made for DW pipe.
what's considered a 'short' stack? My total pipe length from the stove to above the ridgeline will be 12'. It's 64" from the stove to the stovejack. Lots of wall tent manufacturers recommend the silicone jack/flashing even on single wall pipe. Can I ask why you wouldn't put that with an insulated pipe? Amazon product ASIN B08HVV8XKV

They work, but not without a bit of a hazard. Friends of ours lived for a couple years on their property in a large canvas tent with a woodstove. All was well the first year but during the second winter the tent caught fire, not from negligence, but from an errant ember that popped out of the stack and ended up on the tent roof. They were just returning from a walk when they saw this and managed to contain the damage to a repairable area, but the fact is, chit happens, even when cautions were taken. I like that 30WCF has a tall stack on the chimney. I would also be sure there is an ember screen. (My friend's chimney didn't have one.) DuraTech's cap screen is fairly fine.

They work, but not without a bit of a hazard. Friends of ours lived for a couple years on their property in a large canvas tent with a woodstove. All was well the first year but during the second winter the tent caught fire, not from negligence, but from an errant ember that popped out of the stack and ended up on the tent roof. They were just returning from a walk when they saw this and managed to contain the damage to a repairable area, but the fact is, chit happens, even when cautions were taken. I like that 30WCF has a tall stack on the chimney. I would also be sure there is an ember screen. (My friend's chimney didn't have one.) DuraTech's cap screen is fairly fine.
It's my understanding the stack should be at least 3feet above the shortest side and 2feet above the ridgeline to allow for embers/wind blowing. I will have a poly fly over my tent which will hopefully prevent any burns to the tent if a hot ember gets out. Is it ok to mix the cap and pipe brands? I'm glad your friends tent/home wasn't a total loss. It seems they go up pretty quick if it starts :/

I'm glad your friends tent/home wasn't a total loss. It seems they go up pretty quick if it starts :/
Our damp winter weather and catching it early is what saved the tent.

Reactions: idahogal
If you go with a taller flue, say it’s needed for elevation, how is the flue supported with a tent?

If you go with a taller flue, say it’s needed for elevation, how is the flue supported with a tent?
The chimney pipe rests on the stove with a coupler/adapter to the flue collar. I would prefer a rigid flashing to the silicone flex for greater stability but in this case achieving a good safe seal is also important.

Yes, though that long horizontal to the tee is wrong and sure to slow down and cool the flue gases a lot. It should be much shorter.
Yurt tee connection.jpg

@idahogal can you post a picture of the wood stove?

I never thought of an external pole, or a stake in the ground!
It works well, though eventually, it will need replacement if wood. The one pictured is hemlock and it was replaced 4 yrs later with a cedar pole that was treated at the base and set in a graveled pit. It's been on the job for over 10 yrs now and doing well.