backpuffing?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jbean

Nov 13, 2013
New Hampshire (southern)
We have a small wood stove in our kitchen fireplace. We had been out of town for a week and when dh went to start a fire in it this morning smoke came rolling back into the house. Even with the door closed. He put it out, and you can feel cold air rushing down into the stove. I have read about back puffing and negative drafts which I am assuming this is.

We have an VC Encore in our main space that heats the house, and when we lit it last night when we got back we did not have the same experience and we can feel the air going out on that one (Positive draft).

What are some solutions? The kitchen stove does a great job of warming the kitchen first thing till we get the Encore going.

Thanks

Yup what he said. Lite some paper first before trying to lite wood. the fast heat in the stove should get the draft working right. Others have said they use an old hair dryer to heat the flu up but I never had that issue.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
I wanted to post a follow up. We had our new wood stove installed today in the family room (out with the broken VC Encore) in with the new Napoleon 1400PL which is curing now and STINKS. Anyway, we asked them to take a look at our small stove in the kitchen and it turns out the baffles had gotten knocked loose and had fallen funny. They fixed them free of charge and problem solved. Thank you so much for the help.

Welcome to the forum jbean.

As you now know, what you were experiencing was not backpuffing. That happens when there is a fire in the stove but the stove is smoldering a bit. Then suddenly the gasses ignite and cause a small explosion. You will usually smell it for sure. That is because the smoke will go out anywhere including the chimney but also around the firebox door, the draft, etc. Hopefully you will not experience this but if you ever do, give it some more air.

Good luck with the Napolean. On that stink, no doubt you have a window open. A fan blowing out the window will help but also if you can light 3 or 4 candles in the room this will help with both smoke and smell.

Yup, an out of place baffle can raise havoc with the burn. It's good to hear that all your problems have been settled. Just in time!

Status
Not open for further replies.