1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Backup Heat

Post in 'DIY and General non-hearth advice' started by SolarAndWood, Dec 15, 2012.

1. woodgeek

woodgeek Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SE PA
    Prob says more about the safety factors on the gauge, IMO. In the lab once I ran current through 12 ga until it failed. At several hundred amps it glowed cherry red. At around 1000 A continuous it melted. Ran a brief ~100,000 A pulse and it shattered into short lengths from magnetic stresses. Don't try this at home.
    SolarAndWood likes this.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. flyingcow

flyingcow Minister of Fire

Loc:
    northern-half of maine
    Come on....it's no fun unless you can try it from home..................geeezzzzz pee on my parade.
  3. SolarAndWood

SolarAndWood Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Syracuse NY
    lol, you know how to party woodgeek. I've got too much sweat equity in this house to take any chances let alone the potential risk of life. I've got everything installed, grounded and the two feeds reading 240 on and off with the tstat. But, I'll wait until I resolve the breaker issue before I make the final connections and leave it live. 6000 watts should serve the intended purpose and other than solving the breaker issue was done with material on hand.
  4. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Sounds like a great demo for Bill Nye.