Backup Power

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rreihart

Aug 2, 2007
Central PA
What's everyone's plan for dealing with a power outage? A power inverter and a battery was suggested as an option. Am I right in thinking a 1000W inverter would give me about 8 amps (at 120V)? How can I determine the time a certain battery would power this?

Thanks, Rob.

rreihart said:
What's everyone's plan for dealing with a power outage? A power inverter and a battery was suggested as an option. Am I right in thinking a 1000W inverter would give me about 8 amps (at 120V)? How can I determine the time a certain battery would power this?

Thanks, Rob.

That's about right. That translates to a draw of more than 80 amps on the battery at full load, though. Not many batteries can stand that for long.

I use a pair of deep cycle marine batteries that are rated for 100 amp/hr each. That translates to a total of 2400 watt/hrs. A circulator is around 100 watts, so that would power my circulator for 24 hrs, not counting inverter inefficiencies.

Status
Not open for further replies.