Backyard Fire

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

firecracker_77

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
I had a backyard fire in the fire pit last night. The wood could have been seasoned more that I was burning, however, I noticed a decent amount of smoke coming off, which is why I put it out and went in.

Had I been burning in a modern stove, much of that smoke would have been consumed in a secondary burn instead of choking out the neighborhood.

I had a backyard fire in the fire pit last night. The wood could have been seasoned more that I was burning, however, I noticed a decent amount of smoke coming off, which is why I put it out and went in.

Had I been burning in a modern stove, much of that smoke would have been consumed in a secondary burn instead of choking out the neighborhood.
Was it sizzling really bad? If so, that wood may not be seasoned as well as you think. When wood smolders, it will really put off the smoke. I had a fire going a couple of weeks ago, when I went in the house for something the wife decided to help out and put some wood on the fire......problem was, she took some fresh split beech (dripping wet green!) and loaded up the fire. We got smoked out!

Reactions: firecracker_77
Most open fires have some smoke.
sizzling or steam coming out the ends of the wood, then wet wood.
After the fire gets hot, the smoke usually is allot less.
Burned up some fresh cut birch limbs/leaves few days ago, "smoke signals" to the neighbor" to "bring beer" :)

Reactions: firecracker_77
I had cut down a branch off a tree I don't know what it is back in June. The pieces I was trying to burn were probably not seasoned enough given the 5 or 6 inch diameter, unsplit.

I was doing better when I was burning 2 or 3 inch branch pieces. Had plenty of coals, but too much steam on the larger pieces. Had my cordless leaf blower out there to occasionally stoke the flames, but it wasn't enough to get all the pieces in flames.

A decent outside fire with seasoned wood, results in almost no Smoke.

I have had a Fire every day this week. From last Sunday, till last night (Sun to Thurs in Pa/ Fri and Sat at home) I had a smokey fire Fri night......... Couple splits I wanted to test :( Not Good :(

A decent outside fire with seasoned wood, results in almost no Smoke.

I have had a Fire every day this week. From last Sunday, till last night (Sun to Thurs in Pa/ Fri and Sat at home) I had a smokey fire Fri night......... Couple splits I wanted to test :( Not Good :(

Like your way of checking your fire wood to see if it's ready to burn.
A test fire .
Many could use it & save fire/stove/flu troubles. ;)

Like your way of checking your fire wood to see if it's ready to burn.
A test fire .
Many could use it & save fire/stove/flu troubles. ;)

It was the Slabwood I got about a month ago from the Amish. I knew it wouldn't be ready for this year. But ai HATE burning my good wood for "Pit Fires". It was mostly Cottonwood/Ash/Oak in my Slabwood pile. I tried to get mostly Cottonwood. It burned pretty good, but it was very smokey/steaming/sizzling.

It was the Slabwood I got about a month ago from the Amish. I knew it wouldn't be ready for this year. But ai HATE burning my good wood for "Pit Fires". It was mostly Cottonwood/Ash/Oak in my Slabwood pile. I tried to get mostly Cottonwood. It burned pretty good, but it was very smokey/steaming/sizzling.

Whatever this tree is that I was burning is junk to begin with. I cut off a large limb 2 months ago and was burning that. I should have stuck with the enormous kindling pile I have built up. That stuff was super dry.

Status
Not open for further replies.