Backyard foundry for sale

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

webbie

Seasoned Moderator
Hearth Supporter
Nov 17, 2005
Western Mass.
Put a forge up and I'll take it. No need for a foundry, really.

What kind of sailboat?

I had an Oday 27.
Fast, and comfortable for a weekend with 2 people.

Buy a forge . . . and get a dog free???

njtomatoguy said:
What kind of sailboat?

I had an Oday 27.
Fast, and comfortable for a weekend with 2 people.

Tiny boat - Precision 18
I only need to day sail because I can moor it within walking distance of our summer place.

If webwidow ends up enjoying it (or if I do enough), I may eventually step up to 22-25 feet. But I don't need any bigger since I have a large cruising grounds without having to go into the ocean too far (Narragansett Bay, Sakonnet)

Heck, I figured we'd have some real foundrymen here......now THAT'S a mans man.

You can not only do sand casting, but also lost foam or wax. I tried that and it worked perfectly.

Imagine the gifts and machines you can make with your own casting equipment.

Webmaster said:
Tiny boat - Precision 18
I only need to day sail because I can moor it within walking distance of our summer place.

If webwidow ends up enjoying it (or if I do enough), I may eventually step up to 22-25 feet. But I don't need any bigger since I have a large cruising grounds without having to go into the ocean too far (Narragansett Bay, Sakonnet)

While enjoying the size and range of a 32' Hunter and a 36' catamaran, my next boat will be in that range too. The ability to move it on a trailer and store it in a garage without dealing with a lift is huge.

Attachments

• F-22CrispBeach.jpg
    F-22CrispBeach.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 431
OK, $300.00
I need to check with the boss, since I just take care of firewood around here. (and floors, windows, laundry,etc,) There is no way I want to ship a hundred pounds of scrap from RI or Mass. to Indiana. Soooo... what if you sell the scrap, pay the freight and we split whatever is left 70-30 you getting the 70%.
Terry
You have to keep the dog!!!! We just rescued 2 more and some days I feel like I am at a picnic with ants.

I don't wanna buy your foundry. I just want to say that once upon a time I taught sailing on Narragansett Bay...in fact it was the bicentennial summer of 1976. We were sailing Rhodes 19's out of the Naval Training Center marina. Nice little sloops, fixed keel, very forgiving. Not too good for trailering, though. I've sailed a lot of different boats, from 8' to 38'. All catboats or sloops, nothing fancier than an Erickson 38. It was fun. I miss it. Good luck in every respect. Rick

Ah, they still sail the Rhodes 19's out of the non-profit Newport Sailing Center....
Sail Newport:
http://www.sailnewport.org/npt/m/_general/default.asp

I joined just to support them - not sure if I will use them, but they teach kids and disabled people sailing, etc. - it is a true public sailing center.

Well, let me know when you come east.....during the warm months.

LetItBurn said:
OK, $300.00
I need to check with the boss, since I just take care of firewood around here. (and floors, windows, laundry,etc,) There is no way I want to ship a hundred pounds of scrap from RI or Mass. to Indiana. Soooo... what if you sell the scrap, pay the freight and we split whatever is left 70-30 you getting the 70%.
Terry
You have to keep the dog!!!! We just rescued 2 more and some days I feel like I am at a picnic with ants.

Check with the wife and PM me if interested. I was just throwing in the scrap cause I have thousands of lbs of it.

Most folks can get smart and pick up some local for free - like at the dump, etc. - The scrap price is low right now, so turning it in is hardly worthwhile. Freight is not too bad, though, on a 60 LB box or something like that....maybe as low as $40 the slow route.

OK, since you are a valued member - I'll take $275.00 for the stuff - plus shipping, of course. But that won't be too much as long as we can use the slower boats......

and, the offer will remain open for free casting material as long as I have it (which is likely to be years) as long as you pay the shipping. Let me know by PM when and if you decide.

"OK, since you are a valued member - I’ll take $275.00 for the stuff - plus shipping"
I think "valued member" is a bit of a stretch since my email on this topic brought me up to a bakers dozen. I am just finishing my first winter heating with wood. I have learned a lot just searching and reading and reading Hearth.com. I have lots of Questions on what I need to fix or change with the way it was installed, but those need to wait a while.
I will PM you as soon as I check with the better half.
Terry
You are keeping the dog, right?

SAWDUST SWEAT & TEARS said:
Never sailed or founded anything! Count me out! %-P

Well heck Lee, if the wood business is so dead why not start a foundry. ;-P

When you need a part for that machinery - you could cast and machine it......
Or, make statues of Elvis and let the wife sell them in Vegas.......

As far as sailing.....well, I think you have to be a man of leisure first. Then, after that, live near a large body of water. I do hear the NY Lakes are good places....Lake George, Finger Lakes, etc. - or, go all the way and hit the Great Lakes.

Webmaster said:
When you need a part for that machinery - you could cast and machine it......
Or, make statues of Elvis and let the wife sell them in Vegas.......

As far as sailing.....well, I think you have to be a man of leisure first. Then, after that, live near a large body of water. I do hear the NY Lakes are good places....Lake George, Finger Lakes, etc. - or, go all the way and hit the Great Lakes.

Machinery is goin' down the road in about a year!
Vegas is BROKE!

Man of liesure ???? Ya' prolly for the next few months but I will have to settle for a canoe, fishin pole and 12 pack until July rolls around, then I'll officially be in the biomass biz. LET THE PELLET GOUGING BEGIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OOOOPS !!! Did I really say "gouging" !!!!!!!!!

SORRY, no sale on the foundry but I am in the market for a whole tree chipper ! :)

SORRY, no sale on the foundry but I am in the market for a whole tree chipper ! :)

Might take some searching but I bet I could find a post where you said whole tree chipping wasn't gonna happen. :coolsmirk:

BrotherBart said:

Might take some searching but I bet I could find a post where you said whole tree chipping wasn't gonna happen. :coolsmirk:
I said it wasn't very profitable about 8-12 months ago. Alot has changed in that time period.
Still a no sale on the foundry.
Maybe you should get into used car sales! :coolmad:

Maybe you should get into used car sales! :coolmad:

Nah. I missed my chance. Selling pellet stoves last summer. :cheese:

Don't ya just know there are some seriously pissed off people with new $5,000 pellet stove installations in their houses? And a natural gas or oil furnace. I bought a new pellet puppy last spring new for $600 but it can sit in the crate and wait for me to get too old to whack trees. Which is starting to seem like about next Wednesday, but there are five cords of two year old hardwood sitting out back. For sale for your chipper.

I off-loaded my pellet stove two years ago, before they costed an arm and a leg, only a leg. I traded it for a camper, the best thing I ever did and I haven't used it for two years. I love my Jotul :coolsmile: I only used 3 cords along with the minumum on my gas bill.

BrotherBart said:

I said it wasn't very profitable about 8-12 months ago. Alot has changed in that time period.
Be careful, at some point the market is going to flip back the other way (again), I don't think I want to get stuck sitting on that expensive tree chipper 12 months from now. ;)

Wet1 said:
BrotherBart said:

Be careful, at some point the market is going to flip back the other way (again), I don't think I want to get stuck sitting on that expensive tree chipper 12 months from now. ;)

Got it covered with mulch markets and a developing boiler fuel market. I agree about the flip but I think it will be 3+ years out.

Status
Not open for further replies.