Bad draft issues

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jc5361

Jan 28, 2018
Warrensburg, NY
So here goes.
Renting a property. Ranch home with finished basement.
Property owner has a Quadrafire 4100 Insert in the basement.
The company who installed the unit came out here recently to put a new liner in the chimney and a new cap.
They checked everything out and told my wife "You're all set", of course I wasn't here during the work.

I came home that night and left the door open for a while and still had cold air blowing in. I tried opening the window in the room to let air in, put a fan in to blow in, blow out, anything. Still have cold air roaring in. Cant light any paper to try to get some heat up as it blows right back in, smokes, no go.
Called the company and the guy is yelling at me asking if I know what "barometric" pressure is. I answered Yes and then he asks what is my current pressure. At this point I couldn't help respond with "What am I the weather man?" He informs me I need to open a door, window. Which I have already done!

I am familiar with wood stoves and have used them in the past with no issues. Never in a basement though. My one concern is that the lever for the bypass is difficult to move at times. I addressed that and was told by the company "Its fine, I moved it myself" Like it moves with a lot of effort or sticks and just don't feel right, but maybe its me and I'm not used to that type of unit.
I've tried putting cardboard around the opening and put a heat gun in a hole and let that go for quite a while and still have cold air pouring down the chimney.
I'm out of ideas and I have this feeling the property owner never used the stove much or the prior tenants. The glass was blackened really bad, thick crud on it when I first cleaned it and just looked really greasy and dirty inside like they never had a hot fire going. Some bricks were replaced during the recent service. So lots of things screaming at me that it wasn't used or maintained.

As I said its an insert, in the basement. One small typical basement window is on the other side of the room that can be opened. Basement is fully finished. Stove runs out to a chimney that the property owner put river rock all around. I'd estimate it goes up about 35 feet, screen type cap. Furnace is on the other side of the basement in a separate room, own chimney. There is a full bath down there with an exhaust vent that only goes to the laundry room with the furnace. We are on top of a hill from a river. I'm not 100% sure the chimney clears the peak of the house.
If this is the cause, I'm bothered then that the company installed it in the first place and let it be.

I've looked up everything and anything about backdraft, negative pressures, and my only next guess is I'll have to sacrifice a chicken or something to get this to light properly without smoking out the basement and house.

So if anyone has any input to what I can look into doing or what needs to be done would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Sounds like a tough situation. Basements are often low pressure zones. Was it hard to burn in the fireplace also?

Sometimes the negative pressure situation can be improved by sealing up the upper stories of the house better. Ceiling vents and stairways to the attic can be a culprit, as can be leaky upstairs windows and unsealed recessed lighting fixtures. Exhaust fans, dryers, and competing devices like furnace and hw heater (non-electric) can also compete for air.

Reactions: T-roy_
I’m not sure about the fireplace prior to us getting here. I actually just got it finally started. I left the hot air gun in the stove for almost an hour. I checked with s lighter and could see the draft now going the right way.
Only thing is who the heck wants to have to do that every time!
I think it’s a bad setup then. As you pointed out. I seen there is recessed light fixtures that aren’t sealed correctly. I know the upstairs windows are leaking as I’ve been sealing them up as we go along.

I’m more convinced whoever installed it just threw it in now to make it look nice and pretty but not very functional.

There's a solution on the market for this. It's not ideal, but works on freestanding stoves. I didn't think they had a model for inserts, but see there is one now.
http://www.drawcollar.com/products.html

I seen that and was wondering why it wasn’t installed. Why wouldn’t a company point these issues out to the owner? I really don’t think the owner had a clue or was even able to use it before renting the house out. Unfortunately I’m not sure there is the ability to install it now with the current setup. Or if they will allow it to be installed.
I appreciate the feedback.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have you tried lighting a Top-Down Fire? That system works VERY well in Negative pressure situations...

I've heard of using a blowtorch instead of a heat gun, probably a little stronger/faster heat...

I'm guessing on low pressure days it won't be as bad.

Good luck, hope you get it figured out.

Called the company and the guy is yelling at me asking if I know what "barometric" pressure is. I answered Yes and then he asks what is my current pressure. At this point I couldn't help respond with "What am I the weather man?"
I'm sorry about your issues, but this has to be one of the best lines I've heard in a while.
Perhaps a stove oak * outside air kit can help

Reactions: black smoke signals
I’m assuming your basement furnace preforms correctly and does the furnace heat the basement? Pictures of inside and outside chimney of your setup will help the experts here too. One red flag I see is no information on WHAT liner you have insulated or not . I’m curious to see setup pictures hang in here JC EXPERTS chime in.

Unfortunately my hands are tied as I don’t own the property and everything was installed prior to us living here.
So I’m not sure on the liner they replaced recently. I do know there is insulation in there, they
told my wife there was too much insulation in the chimney (shrug)
The furnace seems to be good and it does not heat the basement. Hot water baseboard oil furnace.
Believe me id have the draft collar or the different stack top. Why the company didn’t recommend this to the owner is beyond me. As a business I don’t understand why they didn’t foresee issues in the placement of the stove.
I really wanted to use this as a heat source.
I’ll try to get pictures up so people can get eyes on it.
As I said I finally got it going after leaving the heat gun on it. I don’t have a torch. Plus I’m glad I found out these issues before the wife tried to start a fire or she would have been terrified of the smoke pouring back in!
Thanks all

my only next guess is I'll have to sacrifice a chicken or something to get this to light properly without smoking out the basement and house.
Chickens won't work. I tried it. But smoked chicken is pretty good eatin'.

Seriously, though, ==c, it's unusual for us to hear of a poor draft with a 35' flue length (no bends I presume). You did mention that the flue may not be above the roof peak. Here is a link to one of many sites that describe the recommended clearances in case it helps. There are others. If the situation is somewhat intermittent, something like this may be at least part of the problem besides the basement installation issues.

https://inspectapedia.com/chimneys/Chimney_Height_Codes_Specifications.php

I’ll work on some pictures.
I looked today and seen the chimney does clear the peak.
I know there is insulation, the guys installing the new liner were complaining that there was too much. I’m not sure what type of liner it was.

The problem with starting a top-down fire when there is no, or a reverse draft, is that it can cause one hell of a mess. I tried it once and all it did was blow all the smoke and some ash out. Closing the door only caused the smoke to find other ways out. I had to extinguish the fire with a sprayer. Fortunately, it was a very small fire.

This was a rare thing for us and only when the outdoor temps were single digits. Still, it was a bad experience. Just be careful.

This is a fascinating data point.

Looking forward to pictures.

When you had smoke rollout from the insert into the basement, what was the air temp in the basement and the air temp upstairs, and the air temp outdoors?