Bad installation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I’m lost as to what is preventing this to solve ops clearance issues

Nothing as far as I can see. But it seems he would still need a 24" ceiling shield around the ceiling penetration. Before I chose a stove, I read and considered the installation manuals of every candidate. There is no way I would have bought this stove based on the manual. Too much.

That, and the money!

Reactions: ShawnLiNY
Manual mentions DSP. Only clearances to protected surfaces have not been tested with DSP. Otherwise the clearance is 12". Stove clearances are not reduced. So with DSP he could kick the stove out easily with no heat shielding on the pipe. Trying to figure out if the ceiling heat shield is still needed. One of the most confusing manuals I have ever read.
Yes they are really pretty bad

Reactions: Ludlow
Nothing as far as I can see. But it seems he would still need a 24" ceiling shield around the ceiling penetration. Before I chose a stove, I read and considered the installation manuals of every candidate. There is no way I would have bought this stove based on the manual. Too much.

That, and the money!
That and it is made by Vermont castings

That is bs double wall would work fine but won't change the stoves clearances.
This stove has been tested with a hot flue. I'm guessing that the warning to not use double wall came from the model that followed the 0028, the 2140.
Screen Shot 2018-12-20 at 6.49.29 PM.png

I was thinking the 24" clearance was just for the ovalized pipe in the rear. More flatter surface area equals more radiant energy. I would check on that.
No, the manual requires a large shield at the ceiling too. It also shows 24" ceiling clearance required if the stove is vented out the wall.

No, the manual requires a large shield at the ceiling too. It also shows 24" ceiling clearance required if the stove is vented out the wall.
Screen Shot 2018-12-20 at 6.58.25 PM.png

You are correct. I said that before I dared to try to understand the manual.
Yeah I am pretty good at deciphering this stuff but their manuals have always been redoculously complicated.

They seem to go a step further than the average to inform the owner and installer. When I put in our original Resolute this was appreciated. The Encore Defiant manual has a lot of good info in it.

Hello,

Apologies if any of this sounds ignorant. I've never owned/used a wood stove before, but I love the idea as a supplemental heat source as well as backup in the event of prolonged power outage.

My wife and I purchased a house back in March with a 1986 Defiant Encore installed in the great room. It was moved there by the previous owners from a different room, and the company they hired placed it too close to the walls. Our home inspector told us that up front, and it was later confirmed by a chimney place when I had it swept. Therefore, we don't use it as burning down the house would be sub-optimal.

We'd like to save the installation if possible, and I've spoken to a couple of different places: the previously mentioned chimney place, who also sells Jotul and Quadra-Fire stoves, as well as a Vermont Castings dealer. The chimney place told me the only option with this stove is to brick line the wall (though that doesn't really help with the window sill right there).

I had hoped the Vermont Castings place would have some other ideas (Heat shield for the stove? Angled pipe to move it forward?), but after some odd-feeling talks, the guy basically told me they aren't interested in fixing someone else's install. Fair enough, I suppose, but I wish he would have just said that up front rather than having me send them all the info then ignoring it until I called them back.

As I was researching replacement stoves, I came across this forum, so I thought I'd post here and see if anyone else has an opinion on what the best course of action is or knows of any other options we might be missing.

I think if I do replace this stove, I'll move it out to the barn as part of another project to create a heated workshop, so maybe not a total loss.

Thanks,
Joe

View attachment 236210 View attachment 236211 View attachment 236212

Invoice to the previous owners for the install:
View attachment 236213
Joe , why not move the stove forward to get your proper clearance ? If you have the ability to use a hacksaw and a tape measure you have all the skills required to do this ( you may need help sliding the stove forward but the rest of the job is 1man ) just lay down some drop cloths to catch any soot which falls