bad newz

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

summit

Minister of Fire
Aug 22, 2008
central maine
I've seen poorly designed wood storage... this is just poor judgemnet: shredded newspaper, in an old barn, stuffed around a bunch of super dry wood, w/ plenty of bulding scraps thrown in.... dare ya to smoke a butt next to this potential inferno!

Attachments

• 1012001409.jpg
    1012001409.jpg
    220.4 KB · Views: 687
Looks like something built a nest in there!

Looks like a bunch of dry wood that will keep the house warm if it doesn't burn in the barn first.

Thats just scary lookin.

The things you sweeps and installers must see . . . . crazy . . . but not unexpected.

Well, the poor guy must need something that burns really good for starting his fires...

Shoot; Here I've been burning my newspaper green (so much to learn...). How long do you guys recon I should be seasoning it? Think the Sunday Paper (printed, bagged & delivered last week) will be ready by tonight if stacked in a wicker basket 10 inches in front of my insert? I can see how shredding it would help season faster, but I like the longer burn-time of full sheets. ;-)

I think seasoning time is going to depend on more than just shredded or whole.. for instance, I have a cross-cut shredder, so I am getting much smaller, with more surface area, shredds then that guy in the pic... But I have always been leery of leaving them in the shed, someone might walk off with them.. I keep them in the basement with my Coleman white gas stash..

Standing shreds in the center of a HH seems very challenging

Status
Not open for further replies.