Bad things thread.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nova50

Dec 22, 2010
SE Virginia
Figured I would share my latest ouch/oops and maybe someone else can chime in with theirs so I feel better. I was preparing my night burn with a few small rounds when a hot one rolled into my lap :grrr: It hurt and I freaked...I jumped up with the help of the insert and it was not my best decision. I luckily didnt get hurt, but scared the crap out of me... then I had a great feeling of stupidity.

Not stove related, but I tried to turn over my compost pile with a home made explosive. I broke some windows. It was a pretty dumb thing to do. The next time I made a smaller one and it worked ok. Have yet to try and burn myself or house down with my stove. Knock on burning wood.

Mad Tom said:
Not stove related, but I tried to turn over my compost pile with a home made explosive. I broke some windows. It was a pretty dumb thing to do. The next time I made a smaller one and it worked ok. Have yet to try and burn myself or house down with my stove. Knock on burning wood.

Wow.

Back in 1977 I had one roll out flaming and I caught it on the toes of a brand new pair of hellaciously expensive western boots. And pieces popped off and ruined the carpet in the family room of that brand new house.

One day I went outside to get some wood for the stove. About 20 minutes later my wife starts hollering at me. Dang, I got busy with something else and just plain forgot about the stove needing wood. Well, at least the outdoor temperature was not bad.

Mad Tom said:

That's so Vermont.

Mad Tom said:

When we moved in here the builder had left some large stumps when he cut the driveway through the woods. Down at the bridge one night a neighbor asked me how I was going to get rid of the stumps. I told him that a quarter stick of dynamite per stump would get it done just fine. The whole neighborhood went nuts about that crazy Texan that had moved in and was going to shatter their windows.

They never noticed when the guy came in with the stump chipper and ground the things up. :cheese:

"They never noticed when the guy came in with the stump chipper and ground the things up."

A man who knows how to set someone's expectations. Brilliantly done.

When we moved in here the builder had left some large stumps when he cut the driveway through the woods. Down at the bridge one night a neighbor asked me how I was going to get rid of the stumps. I told him that a quarter stick of dynamite per stump would get it done just fine. The whole neighborhood went nuts about that crazy Texan that had moved in and was going to shatter their windows.

They never noticed when the guy came in with the stump chipper and ground the things up. :cheese:

Hmm thats cool, your from Texas and moved to VA. Im from Abilene TX and now im living in SEVA

cmonSTART said:
Mad Tom said:

That's so Vermont.

On the left coast, we do that with whales.

My uncle once tried to kill a varmint living under his porch with an improvised "molotov cocktail". That didn't end well.

BeGreen said:
cmonSTART said:
Mad Tom said:

That's so Vermont.

Absolutely priceless :gulp:

nova50 said:
thats cool, your from Texas and moved to VA. Im from Abilene TX and now im living in SEVA

I was born in St. Ann's hospital in Abilene, TX.

This stuff is always funny looking back on it no matter how scary it was at the time. Anyway, Had a stubborn yellow jacket nest on the side of the house one summer and tried so many things to kill them off. Was talking to my neighbor one afternoon and he suggested spraying it with an oil can of motor oil. I gladly pumped in 3 quarts of 10W30 and it seemed to help. A couple of days later was the 4th of July with about 40 people gathered for a big barbeque and don't ya know the bees show up too, lots of them. Well I had all kinds of fireworks including cherry bombs and blockbusters. I put 2 cherry bombs on stick and stuffed them in that hole. The blast covered the entire side of the house with the oil and the next thing I know I'm calling the fire dept while spraying the house with a garden hose. Ended up replacing alot of cedar shingles and even painted the house a different color. Good Times!

Hubby and I splitting wood with the hydraulic woodsplitter.

I am running the lever.

He's catching.

He missed.

Broke a toe.

He says "It's your fault!"

I said, "Nope, you didn't catch that one! Can we get back to work now?" :)

BeGreen said:
cmonSTART said:
Mad Tom said:

That's so Vermont.

AWESOME! LMFAO

cmonSTART said:
Mad Tom said:

That's so Vermont.

Live free or die!!, oh yeah, that's you guys. I know a guy that trimmed some branches from his bedroom window with a shotgun. That was in a residential area in PA. I am not sure how well that went with the neighbors.

I was airsealing last year in our laundry room. I was crouched behind the gas dryer that was running while I was filling large gaps with expanding foam in a can. Well wasn't thinking when all of a sudden a large fireball erupted from the flame of the dryer and the propellent of the can. The inside of the wall cavity caught fire and I put my fist through the paneling and tore it off to get to the flames. Almost the dumbest thing I have done, besides plugging in a vaporizer and touching the contacts to see if they were getting hot while my hands and arms were soaked. After my heart almost stopped, I realized that was the wrong thing to do. :lol:

Well there was this one time at band camp. . . . ;)

firefighterjake said:
Well there was this one time at band camp. . . . ;)

Was that in Vegas & what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas? :)

Back in the late 70's we had a big Nashua warming the house. We'd get up in the morning and come downstairs to get near the stove. My brother, probably 12 at the time, would stand in front of it in his tighty whities and a bath robe rocking back and forth rather close to the stove, while my sister and I were content to sit by the hearth. One day he lost his balance and fell back on the stove burning the back of his leg. He ran outside in his underwear and sat in the snow while I called my dad at work. I forget who had to scrape the smoldering skin off the stove. We still talk about it to this day when someone gets close to a raging stove. Familiarity breeds complacency. These stoves we love command respect folks.

I ended up with a small burn hole in the knee of my Hello Kitty pajamas (don't laugh, they were a gift) over the holiday. No idea how it happened - well, I know how it happened, I just don't know when, exactly, since I didn't get burned.

Status
Not open for further replies.