1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Bad wood pile

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by Backwoods Savage, Feb 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    Let's also take the word finish. When you are done with the finish on a particular piece of wood, you are said to have finished with the finish. But then, there may also be Finnish that finish the finish and are finally finished.

And I've always wondered why doesn't "Buick" rhyme with "quick."

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. LLigetfa

LLigetfa Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NW Ontario
    That's the oddities of the English language. Take the "in" prefix that usually reverses the meaning of the root word. For example, indecisive versus decisive, insufficient versus sufficient. Why then doesn't it work for inflammable versus flammable?
  3. backpack09

backpack09 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Rochester, Mass
    Que? as far as I know inflammable means not flammable.....

and its a Parkway because it is a Way with a Park in it. Like NJ's "wonderful" garden state parkway. :)
  4. firefighterjake

firefighterjake Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    Well since you asked . . .

Do I slow up or slow down? . . . Answer: Neither. Jake works at just one speed so he doesn't need to slow up or slow down . . . that speed incidentally is just a notch above sloth-like speed.

Do I go uptown or downtown . . . Answer: Neither. Unity isn't really big enough to have an uptown, downtown or in between town . . . usually when I want to get a pizza I just go "to town."

Could stoplights be called golights . . . Answer: I wouldn't know . . . Unity isn't big enough for a stoplight/golight . . . heck, until a few years back my County only had one stoplight/golight . . . I think they have three or four now though in Belfast. Unity does have a couple of blinking yellow/red lights . . . are those stoplights/golights or Proceed Cautiously Lights? ;) :)
  5. lexybird

lexybird Minister of Fire

Loc:
    northwestern PA.
    if nothing sticks to teflon how do they stick teflon to the pan ,how come when a plane just about collides with another plane up in the air they call it a near miss
    it was a near hit ..not a near miss
  6. Backwoods Savage

Loc:
    Michigan
    Well lexybird, it is somewhat like being a little bit pregnant. Can that happen?

I do wonder about those Proceed Cautiously lights...
  7. karri0n

karri0n New Member

Loc:
    Eastern CT

Inflammable does NOT mean "not flammable". You have probably caused millions of injuries/deaths.

Inflammable is a synonym for flammable, but the reason for it is that "inflammable" is not actually an English word. I believe it's French, but maybe spanish.
  8. Backwoods Savage

Loc:
    Michigan
    in·flam·ma·ble (¹n-fl²m“…-b…l) adj. 1. Easily ignited and capable of burning rapidly; flammable. See Usage Note at flammable. 2. Quickly or easily aroused to strong emotion; excitable

From the American Heritage Dictionary
  9. karri0n

karri0n New Member

Loc:
    Eastern CT
    yes, but it's taken from French. If that dictionary has etymology, then it will be in there.
  10. Backwoods Savage

Loc:
    Michigan
    But etymology..... Is that cureable?
  11. karri0n

karri0n New Member

Loc:
    Eastern CT
    Depends. What type of medical coverage does American Heritage offer?
  12. gzecc

gzecc Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NNJ
    I am originally from NY. May be an urban legend but was told the "parkways" were built on Long Island to bring cars in the 50's to the park (Jones Beach State Park). I was also told that they purposely built the bridges (overpasses) too low to prevent buses from coming with people from the cities. Don't know if its true, but makes a good story!
  13. LLigetfa

Loc:
    NW Ontario
    Still, there's still the whole park IN the driveway versus ON thing. Waddup widdat? It's not a park versus drive thing cuz you can park ON the street or park ON the lawn. Same thing with a parking lot. One parks IN the parking lot, not ON the parking lot.
  14. karri0n

karri0n New Member

Loc:
    Eastern CT
    I've parked IN the street as well, but people beep at your car.

A side note: I'm from CT all my life and had never heard of frost heave, either, nor really witnessed a phenomenon such as that. Must just not get cold enough here.
  15. firefighterjake

Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    Maybe it's just a Maine/New Hampshire thing since I remember that there were a few guys from CT in my first year at college that also had no idea what the "Frost Heave" signs meant when they spotted them in the Spring.
  16. LLigetfa

Loc:
    NW Ontario
    You mean this one?
    [​IMG]
  17. wendell

wendell Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Madison, WI
    Well, it's definitely a Wisconsin thing too. I can't drive down the main street through town at the posted speed limit without almost getting my F150 airborne!
  18. karri0n

karri0n New Member

Loc:
    Eastern CT

Ah, the good old "Warning, flying mountains" sign! Actually, I can't say I've seen that before.
  19. firefighterjake

Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    Nope . . . Mainers are a little more literate . . . they actually write out the words "Frost Heave" but I have noticed more recent signs simply say "Bump" -- probably trying to save printing costs . . . or maybe they figure there are too many outer staters coming in who have no idea what a frost heave is. ;) :)

Incidentally, is this sign really for frost heaves . . . because if I saw this sign I would have no idea of what it means . . . maybe rough road ahead or grating ahead.
  20. wendell

wendell Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Madison, WI
    or maybe little small houses built really close together ahead.

We just use "Bump" here in the Midwest. There isn't much doubt as to what caused it!
  21. fossil

fossil Accidental Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Bend, OR
    I thought that meant "Camp Here for Alien Abduction". Rick
  22. wendell

wendell Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Madison, WI
    If you think this sign means "Camp Here for Alien Abduction", you might be a Redneck. :)

Just kiddin' Rick. I just figured Jeff Foxworthy had to bust into this thread at some point.
  23. fossil

fossil Accidental Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Bend, OR
    I'm gonna look to find me one of them signs, and that's where I'm gonna camp out. It's been a good spell since I was last abducted, but as I recollect I had a right nice time up there. I'll check down New Mexico way, I hear there's some activity there from time to time. :p Rick
  24. savageactor7

savageactor7 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    CNY
    Frost heave is another reason we got away from stacking and went to piling. The only wood we stack is our junk shoulder season wood...almost hate to call it junk cause it works so perfectly. Anyway this pile was perfectly stacked before winter.

[​IMG]
  25. Apprentice_GM

Apprentice_GM Member

Loc:
    Central Coast, NSW, Australia
    That's an impressive amount of lean for a still standing stack of wood!

What a pain frost heave must be. Does it cause issues with structural things like buildings? Or do the codes factor it in and force you to over-engineer accordingly?

That wood looks great to me too, do you term it "junk" wood because it is less BTU's compared to what you burn in winter?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.