Baffle Board - Up vs Down

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Moonshine

Sep 19, 2015
Wisconsin
Replacing the baffle boards in my Montlake wood insert. I do not know which side faces down. My old ones are so dirty they’re no help.

Both sides are blue, but one side has designs on it. Definitely looks like there’s a different texture.

I cannot find an answer. Any suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Replacing the baffle boards in my Montlake wood insert. I do not know which side faces down. My old ones are so dirty they’re no help.

Both sides are blue, but one side has designs on it. Definitely looks like there’s a different texture.

I cannot find an answer. Any suggestions?

Which model do you have? According to the manual online for a Montlake 230, the only Montlake insert I could find, they should only fit one way. There are angles cut in to the baffles that allow them to only fit one way. The angles are cut on the edges of the baffles that connect on the interior of the insert. NOT the outside four corners. See screenshot from manual below.

Also, here is a link to the manual:

http://ironstrike.us.com/system/doc...ke_230_300_Wood_Insert_EN_IICO.pdf?1483744016

Attachments

• Baffle Board - Up vs Down
    76C59C74-0BE2-47E8-B4B2-F4282495924F.png
    199 KB · Views: 182
Reactions: Moonshine
Hard to tell as the images were small, and I couldn't figure out how to enlarge them. However, from experience, those cut outs just fit in a particular way when they are facing forward. They can be flipped over, and as long as you keep those grooves forward, it fits the exact same way. Hopefully this makes sense. Those cut outs are the same, and fit the same way regardless of which side is up.

Side note...I thought I had the Montlake 240...wonder if it is the 230.

Which model do you have? According to the manual online for a Montlake 230, the only Montlake insert I could find, they should only fit one way. There are angles cut in to the baffles that allow them to only fit one way. The angles are cut on the edges of the baffles that connect on the interior of the insert. NOT the outside four corners. See screenshot from manual below.

Also, here is a link to the manual:

http://ironstrike.us.com/system/doc...ke_230_300_Wood_Insert_EN_IICO.pdf?1483744016

Hard to tell as the images were small, and I couldn't figure out how to enlarge them. However, from experience, those cut outs just fit in a particular way when they are facing forward. They can be flipped over, and as long as you keep those grooves forward, it fits the exact same way. Hopefully this makes sense. Those cut outs are the same, and fit the same way regardless of which side is up.

Side note...I thought I had the Montlake 240...wonder if it is the 230.

I am by no means an expert and will stop lending advice at this point. I don’t want to speak to something i don’t know about. Just thought i world forward my simple google search results. There are guys on here far more knowledgeable than I who I’m sure will be along soon with some good answers.

I have a Buck74 and just replaced the baffles after 6 years of use. I went with the porous texture facing down. Meaning towards the fire.Only because I do recall seeing the little dents in the baffle and thinking that was some soft material for a baffle. Hope its correct.

I have a Buck74 and just replaced the baffles after 6 years of use. I went with the porous texture facing down. Meaning towards the fire.Only because I do recall seeing the little dents in the baffle and thinking that was some soft material for a baffle. Hope its correct.

Baffles are soft. I tend to beat mine up pretty badly.

I guessed the same thing. Thanks.

The best thing for maintaining baffle boards is to take your poker outside and throw it as far as you can.

Reactions: bholler
Baffles are soft. I tend to beat mine up pretty badly.
Try loading in a bit less wood so that there is an inch or two clear of the baffle.

I had my first fire with the textured side down, so now I plan to keep it that way.

Like yooper wrote, I had considered that a particular side did not need to face down. However, with the two sides looking so relatively different, I think it’s likely one side should be down.

Frustrating I wasn’t able to find out definitively. I called the distributor who didn’t know, and directed me to the manufacturer who I wasn’t able to get a hold of.

Separate note...I had to replace the blower in this unit. The other one got so loud, banging loud, to the point it was almost unusable, and then quit.

I ordered a replacement, and saw that on the old one the fins were dented and bent. The new one was a completely different design (to the point I thought they sent me the wrong one) which makes me the original was a flawed design.

Anyway...this new one purred better than the other ever did. Very nice.

Thanks for the input.