Baffle design... low thermal mass, or high thermal mass?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

EddyKilowatt

Nov 8, 2007
Central Coast California
I'm just asking this out of curiousity, since I've seen claims made in both directions.

My Avalon has a plain ole firebrick baffle (backed up by a thermal blanket), and I recall reading that this was a better design because it holds heat better when reloading, thus kicking off the secondary burn quicker for the new wood.

On the other hand, I've read similar market-speak for higher-tech stoves with more exotic refractory baffles (this might also apply to stainless baffles), claiming that they come up to secondary-burn temperature faster and hotter, and do a better job tracking the actual burnable-gas emissions of the wood.

I'm wondering if you folks who have experience with several different stoves, or with stove design, have any thoughts about the differences between the two approaches to designing a baffle?

regards,
Eddy

That's a two way street. If you don't reload the stove soon after most of the heat has dissipated it's going to put out more emissions and light off slower because it has more mass. I would think a low mass baffle in most cases would be more beneficial because of the cyclical nature of loading the stove, however is has a lot to do with the design and geometry of the firebox.

Most modern fireboxes have a ceramic board baffle for the reason you want the baffle to hold the heat in but not soak any of it up. You want that heat there to ignite gases below the baffle and extract the heat after they have burned.

Status
Not open for further replies.