Baffled by baffle terms

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
After the first year the baffles in my Napoleon 1100C looked quite beat up. Chimney sweeps came so I removed the baffles and when I went to put it in a big piece chipped off. Looking though here and online I ran into terminology that confused me (don't take much). When I search the part number I get searches for the fibre baffle and a brick fibre baffle, are they the same? The brick fibre sound better, more solid (these see awful flaky) but don't know if it's just the advertiser's term or a different product. I also read on here about the RS-1200 ceramic stuff, I copied and pasted the specs from the manual and requested a quote.

BTW, I used Andersen Chimney sweeps, they vacuumed inside and out of the wood stove, inside the chimney. I was impressed. I pictured just brushing the chimney and going but they did a clean job, said it looked good for 2 1/2 cords burned.

Also secondary burn tubes, take out and wire brush or brush inside?

Thanks,

Attachments

• baffle.jpg
    baffle.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 525
Napoleon calls it a fibre baffle in the manual. Dealer terms may vary. Normally I just run the vacuum over the secondary tube holes. It is unlikely they're going to need to be taken out after just one season.

Other than that, check the gaskets:
"At the end of each burning season inspect the shield and
gasket below the manifold for warping or deterioration.
Replace if necessary. Both are held to the manifold with
machine screws. The shield and the 1/8" fibre cloth gasket
are available from your Wolf Steel Ltd. dealer. See FIGURE
32. At this time also check that the door gasket is not worn
or loose. Replace with 3/8" high density fiberglass rope if
necessary.
The airwash gasket and shield above the door should also
be inspected and replaced if deteriorated."

Those are ceramic fiber. Personally I would pitch a groan with the dealer to get the one that broke off replaced under warranty. If they won't do it I wouldn't worry about keeping on burning with it. They look like they are pretty thick and it should keep doing the job.

BeGreen, and BB seem too have you lined out for another year of savings, and little work provided your other gasketts are fine. You must have done some research to find the RS1200, and also must have noted the high price! I`m not saying your warranty will cover the baffle board, but it certainly wont cover any future problems if you were to switch out the material. According to your sweep , things are operating well , go with it! The flaking appears new, as if it was in a bind coming out. Inspect and see if you cant relieve that area if that is the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.