Bagged insulation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rakuz66

Feb 14, 2007
Maple Glen, Pa.
Any reason people don't use this as much as roxul? It seems a lot easier. Are there reasosns "not" to use this type of insulation? I'm thinking of having someone come out and install it. Seems it would save me the hassle from making a block off plate and dealing with all that roxul. I guess the only problem I can think of, would be that you wouldn't be able to replace or remove your liner later on, if necessary.

Attachments

• chimney insulation.jpg
    chimney insulation.jpg
    5.3 KB · Views: 308
Well, they have different purposes. Roxul is usually used as a damper block off to stop drafts. You simply stuff a bunch in the damper. It comes in a form similar to pink fiberglass.

Everguard insulation is a vermiculite based poured insulation used for insulating an Everguard (Forever Flex, etc.) brand chimney liner. You mix it lightly with water and pour it down the flue around the liner, keeping a minimum 1" thick layer around the liner. It then sets up like concrete.

Very different products.

Yep, you still need a block-off plate, and if you're using that stuff to insulate the liner you need a plate strong enough and sealed well enough to hold all that mix up until it sets and becomes self-supporting. I used this stuff as I had no room for an insulated liner on my outside chimney. It was very easy to work with. I made a block-off plate out of sheet metal tap-con'd and silicone sealed in place with several inches of mineral wool above it. Above that I laid scrap plate steel across the damper throat to hold up the insulation mix. Worked well, but sure didn't save any work. I don't think it sets-up hard enough that removing the liner would be impossible.

Status
Not open for further replies.