Bags, bags, and more bags...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

midfielder

Feeling the Heat
Dec 17, 2011
NH
Newb end of the season question; what do people do with all these processed hydrocarbon p's o' s... Any good recycling options anyone's aware of? Kind of ironic to be burning renewables packaged in petro-chemical bags that are hard to dispose of, lol ('course we transport em all with petro too.) Bulk delivery not a good option where I am. Our curbside and local recycling centers won't take anything thats film, even if it's the right kind of plastic. Hate to send all those bags to the landfill.

midfielder said:
Newb end of the season question; what do people do with all these processed hydrocarbon p's o' s... Any good recycling options anyone's aware of? Kind of ironic to be burning renewables packaged in petro-chemical bags that are hard to dispose of, lol ('course we transport em all with petro too.) Bulk delivery not a good option where I am. Our curbside and local recycling centers won't take anything thats film, even if it's the right kind of plastic. Hate to send all those bags to the landfill.

There are many threads on here about the bags. I don't have any trouble getting rid of mine because our system handles them as regular recycle. So those that I haven't at least temporarily re-purposed go to recycle. I bag up the bags.

Also some of the local supermarkets collect used plastic bags for the same purpose.

Since the bags are porous to water you can use them as a weed block in the garden (I'd do this if I didn't have a lifetime supply of black construction erosion control sheet that I am currently reusing) , or a liner if you do container gardening.

my local dump/transfer station takes them as recycling.

I take 10 at a time, flatten them and fold them up in as small a square as possible. Then I stuff that square in a regular plastic shopping bag, tie the handles closed and take it to Walmart where I deposit the bag in their bag recycling box by the entrance.

Wally Wart sounds like a good bet - I'll have to check my local one and see if they do bag recycling. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.