Baking on the Oslo

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Butcher

Minister of Fire
Nov 2, 2011
N. central Ia.
Wasnt sure where to post this question. Has anyone ever used a coleman folding oven to bake with on thier wood stove? http://www.amazon.com/Coleman-5010D700T-Camp-Oven/dp/B0009PURJA
We used to have 1 years ago when we camped alot but we gave it away. Was thinking of getting another one and try it on the Oslo.

SO, are you thinking of using the coleman stove as a "pot" so to speak and using the heat from the woodstove to do the cooking?

It's been years since I used a coleman stove. If I remember correctly, it has legs of some sort. If it will sit above and not in contact with the stove, I doubt you'll have enough heat transfer to cook. If it sits with direct contact on the stove, and the pot you are using direct contact with the part of the stove in direct contact with the stove, it should work...worth a try.

Just be sure there is no fuel for the stove anywhere near the Oslo.

I'm not sure what advantage you would gain over placing any pot on the stove....except possibly keeping the stove cleaner. As I said, haven't looked at a Coleman stove in years.

Basically, what I am trying to say is that I don't think most stovetops get hot enough to use for cooking unless you are dealing with direct heat transfer. That said, as long as you don't do anything thoughtless or unsafe, any cooking attempts are worth a try, in my estimation.

SO, are you thinking of using the coleman stove as a "pot" so to speak and using the heat from the woodstove to do the cooking?

It's been years since I used a coleman stove. If I remember correctly, it has legs of some sort. If it will sit above and not in contact with the stove, I doubt you'll have enough heat transfer to cook. If it sits with direct contact on the stove, and the pot you are using direct contact with the part of the stove in direct contact with the stove, it should work...worth a try.

Just be sure there is no fuel for the stove anywhere near the Oslo.

I'm not sure what advantage you would gain over placing any pot on the stove....except possibly keeping the stove cleaner. As I said, haven't looked at a Coleman stove in years.

Basically, what I am trying to say is that I don't think most stovetops get hot enough to use for cooking unless you are dealing with direct heat transfer. That said, as long as you don't do anything thoughtless or unsafe, any cooking attempts are worth a try, in my estimation.

The old fold up coleman oven we used to have just had a thin sheet metal bottom. Maybe the new ones are built different. The stovetop temps on my Oslo run from 550 to 650° and i can cook almost anything i want to useing a lightwieght aluminum pan. Believe it or not, I can boil potatos or ears of sweetcorn on it. I would use the coleman oven mainly for baking bisquits or the like.

Reactions: Elle
Status
Not open for further replies.