Bald Cyprus or Metasequoia?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Mutineer

Burning Hunk
Dec 13, 2018
NE Ohio
Anyone out there have any experience cutting or splitting or burning Metasequoia, aka Dawn Redwood? We have a couple of big ones- we think they also might be bald cyprus- that are ruining our paved area at our sailing club because of the way the roots emerge out of the ground and take over things.

No idea how it splits. It’s more dense than yellow poplar. I’d burn it if it was free. But I rather mill for slabs.

Yeah, another member of the club is investigating the slab route with a friend who has a bandsaw mill.
$300 saw plus bar Chain and mill. Less than $1k. And you get a new 90 cc saw.

IMG_2908.jpeg

Reactions: bigealta
This guy has some great stuff.

Reactions: SwedeFP
And this one with just the saw.

Reactions: SwedeFP
And this one with just the saw.

Once you get over 24” things change. I tried a beam cutter jig. It was not as easy as I thought it would be.

Anyone out there have any experience cutting or splitting or burning Metasequoia, aka Dawn Redwood? We have a couple of big ones- we think they also might be bald cyprus- that are ruining our paved area at our sailing club because of the way the roots emerge out of the ground and take over things.

If it’s putting up the big knobby things up from the ground that look like towers it’s bald cypress

If it’s putting up the big knobby things up from the ground that look like towers it’s bald cypress
My five year old proudly and assertively told those are “knees”.

Reactions: weee123