Valor Portrait Flame

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

davishmcclurg

Mar 8, 2024
San Francisco
Hi all,

We just had a Valor Portrait insert installed in our old fireplace, vented through the existing 30-35 foot chimney. I've been trying to adjust the air shutter and air restrictors to improve the flame but I'm having trouble. The initial issue was low and uneven flame. I've been able to increase the height but I can't get it to even out very well. And in some configurations there's been sooting. I'll attach a couple videos of the current flame. Does anyone have experience with these units? Is it possible to even out the flame or should I adjust my expectations?

Thanks!
David

Videos on youtube because upload didn't work:

PXL_20240307_001627449.jpg

Last edited:
What fuel are you burning? What does the manual specify for the air shutter setting? What does the manual show for the flame presentation?

What fuel are you burning? What does the manual specify for the air shutter setting? What does the manual show for the flame presentation?
It's burning natural gas.

Manual doesn't say much specific about the air shutter:

PXL_20240309_002040869.jpg

Air restrictors are set for coals as described:

PXL_20240309_002010108.MP.jpg

Manual shows a taller, more even flame:

PXL_20240309_000832752.jpg

Sample video is slightly uneven though:

Are those pix you posted showing the flames after 10-15 minutes of burn time? What was the factory setting on the air shutter?

Ok. It looks pretty well closed, which is probably where it should be for NG. If you close it too much, you will get sooting because of a too rich Air-to-Fuel mixture. If the incoming gas pressure meets spec, then you are probably gonna hafta adjust your expectations. Many times the flame presentations shown are not representative of what you will get in your home. They may have been taken at the manufacturing facility, which has a more substantial gas line.

Ok, thanks @DAKSY. I'm not too worried about the overall level of the flame—mostly wanted to understand why it's only high on the left side.

Another thing I wanted to ask about is the initial ignition is often loud and shakes the unit a bit. Is that normal?

When burning LP, delayed ignition is more common, but it is unusual with NG. Make sure the burner is fully engaged on the burner orifice.

In gas units, the open end of the burner should sit tightly against the burner orifice bracket & the orifice needs to be fully inserted into the burner. The engagement can be compromised during transport or install…

In gas units, the open end of the burner should sit tightly against the burner orifice bracket & the orifice needs to be fully inserted into the burner. The engagement can be compromised during transport or install…
I'm not quite sure what you mean, but here are some photos I took of the burner the last time I had it open. Do they look correct? I removed the air shutter before taking them.

PXL_20240310_233758310.jpg

PXL_20240310_233812610.jpg

PXL_20240310_233850748.jpg

The brass in the center of the pic is the outflow end of the burner orifice. The units I have working knowledge of have that end penetrating into the burner. This directs the gas to the burner ports. Your set up looks like the gas can bypass the burner. Maybe I’m wrong & that’s the working design, but if excess NG puddles at the top of the firebox , it will ignite with the burner ports & may cause you situation. Again, I’m just working on what I have experienced & have never seen any of the Valor units.

IMG_8419.jpeg

That picture is with the air shutter removed, which I think would prevent gas from bypassing the burner. The brass end doesn't look very adjustable, in any case.