Ball Joint Replacement

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Boston Rob

Hearth Supporter
Feb 3, 2009
Northeast MASS
Anyone replaced upper and lower balljoints on a 2000 Dodge Dakota 4x4 lately?
How about a CV shaft assembly?
Or a water pump?
Anyone have any words of wisdom?

Thanks

Try the Dakota Mailing List: http://www.dakota-truck.net
The members there have been there done that.
I changed the WP in my 2K Dak, since I had bought the 2000 FSM.
It's very thorough & the steps are easy enough to follow, but
it pretty much sucked because of the amount of stuff ya gotta get out of the way...
It's doable with "normal" tools...
I actually have a pickle fork & was gonna change my lower balljoints, but
I didn't feel like jerkin around with em. If I had a lift to get er up on, it'd be different...
I spent the $250 +/- for a local Indy to do the job...

Up date Water pump went well. Replaced waterpump & fan clutch.
Saved $400.00 on labor.
Worth a few cut nuckles.

Thinking $400.00 for one balljoint is a little much, been out of work for a few months.

Ball joint on my 4runner was $50. Did not need a pickle fork to bang it out because all you need to do is loosen the castle nut a bit and give it a whack to fee the BJ from the A-Arm. As for getting the Ball joint out now - well, you just need to rent a ball joint puller/press from Autozone or the local equivalent and knock it out and install the new one. You have to place a deposit on the rental from autozone but you get it all back - essentially free.

I replaced all 4 ball joints on my Ford ranger. Job was not that difficult. Ideally you should have an other vehicle available in case you need to make a run to the parts store. While you are in there might as well replace the breaks and repack wheel bearings.

There was a factory recall on the lower ball joints of some of those so I would vin check with a dealership first.

Some of those models the lower ball joints you had to replace the whole arm on.

The factory recall on the Dodge trucks was for the upper ball joints-
not the lowers...
99-01 (I think)...had mine done in 03-04...

Status
Not open for further replies.