BAR OIL TO GAS RATIO?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Todd

Minister of Fire
Nov 19, 2005
NW Wisconsin
What is the ratio for bar oil verses gas? Should they both run out about the same time? I have a Husky 137 that seems to only go through 1/4 to 1/3 tank of bar oil for 1 tank of gas. It seems like it needs more oil, the chain dulls pretty quick and usually have to run a file after every tank of gas. I've checked and cleaned the oil port....no clogs that I can see.

They should run out at about the same time, Todd. Preferably, the gas runs out just before the oil. You can adjust the oil, but I'm not sure how with a Husky 137. It should say in your manual. If not, call a Husqvarna dealer and ask how to do it.

That said, dulling of the chain has nothing to do with the bar oil. What the oil does is keep the chain links, bar groove and sprocket tip all lubed up so they don't overheat, wear excessively and seize up. If your bar and chain are not getting excessively hot (i.e., smoking, seizing up, bar edges burning, etc.), then they're getting enough oil.

The chain sharpness is entirely a function of what you're cutting and how well you're sharpening and othewise maintaining the chain. It's a hard skill to master, but well worth the effort if you want to get the most out of your saw. You should actually touch up your chain after every tank, since it's a lot easier to maintain a sharp chain than it is to restore a dull one to sharpness.

I should really take the time to write up an illustrated wiki on chain sharpening. A few important points include:

Maintain the correct cutter angle on both left and right cutters;
Keep your depth gauges (rakers) at the proper height relative to the cutters (use a raker gauge);
Use the right size file for your chain;
Make sure that you're sharpening the cutting edge of the cutters, not digging down into the body of the tooth when you file;
The pressure you put on the file should be up and slightly back towards the back of the cutter.

Thanks Eric,
Thats what I thought, they should run out about the same time. Can't find my manual, so I'll be visiting the dealer.

Well ..........a ............yes , What Eric said . Didnt leave much to say except any differences of chainsaws with bar oil , brand , size , model . I have a Craftsman 38cc and i go through 2 tanks of gas to 1 take of bar oil . The saw is around 13 years old and is on its second bar . The Husqvarnas i own have a screw adjustment to turn UP or DOWN the bar oil per bar size or as needed. I normally run the oil at a higher setting. Now with that being said i go through 3/4 tank of oil to 1 tank of gas .
I have a Husky 137 that seems to only go through 1/4 to 1/3 tank of bar oil for 1 tank of gas.
You might want to check your bar hole that lets oil from your chainsaw to your bar. All the chainsaw bar i have have had over paint in the supply hole and you can take a toothpick or something small to clean out the hole in your bar . You can also check to make sure your rail in the bar that the chain runs on is free of sawdust and junk .
the chain dulls pretty quick and usually have to run a file after every tank of gas.
Watch out for dirty wood , dirt in the bark , trees that are already down full of dirt , when felling the base of a tree also gets dirt , when bucking the wood and to make sure your bar tip or any part of the chain DOES NOT TOUCH THE GROUND DIRT> A chainsaw chain will dull really quick if it comes in contact with dirt . If you have a dull chain per tank or 2 tanks of gas then that is not normal for a smaller chainsaw with the work it is made to do .

Roospike said:
B.T.W. has the oiler always run these amounts per gas / oil ? newer chainsaw , older ?

It's one year old and haven't used it much, didn't really pay attention to this before. Last night I cut down a pine stump level to the ground and I think I hit some dirt. Like you said that's probably the cause of the dulling and also improper filing like Eric suggested.

I have a Husky 136...both run out at the same time.

Status
Not open for further replies.