Bar oil!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The big problem I have is with used motor oil. The heavy metal toxins are something that I don't want in our water or on the ground where I plant crops or have my vegetable garden. I certainly don't want to breathe them in aerosol form.

It's also supposed to be a lubricant and it's full of little pieces of steel and aluminum. I can't see that being good for the bar, chain, or oiler pump.

Reactions: StihlKicking
I doubt if makes a lick of difference between expensive brand names and cheap names. But It does make a difference to use a bar oil made for the purpose. The environment is harsh and you need the sticky factor. Plus, if you use a thinner product like veg oil or even automotive oil, it seems like you would need to increase the volume the saw pumps out at the very least.

Now, if there is a veg based product out there that has been modified for bar use, then great.

It does bake a difference !! I have a friend that logs and he states he gots a lot more board feet out of his bar if he uses huskarvana oil compared to store brand.

I doubt if makes a lick of difference between expensive brand names and cheap names. But It does make a difference to use a bar oil made for the purpose. The environment is harsh and you need the sticky factor. Plus, if you use a thinner product like veg oil or even automotive oil, it seems like you would need to increase the volume the saw pumps out at the very least.

Now, if there is a veg based product out there that has been modified for bar use, then great.

It does make a difference !! I have a friend that logs and he states he gets a lot more board feet out of his bar if he uses Huskarvana oil compared to store brand.

It does make a difference !! I have a friend that logs and he states he gets a lot more board feet out of his bar if he uses Huskarvana oil compared to store brand.
That's interesting. I'm no oil expert, but an earlier post here suggested that Husqvarna oil seems tackier than others. I wonder if that could explain it. I have no idea, but I think I'll keep using the Husq brand (plus I have a lot of it). I have a few logger friends around here. Maybe I'll see what they think about all this. Hard to quarrel with someone who goes through as many chains and saws as the pro loggers do. Plus, they're all great guys.

Reactions: woodsmaster
I wonder if there'd be any benefit to a high tack chain lube. I have a few cans of PJ1 in the garage (motorcycle chain lube). It would just get rubbed off on most of the chain, but it foams and works its way inside joints too.

This is what the loggers around here use,not sure if it's a national brand it's bottled locally. It's much stringer then stihl or husqvarna's blend it's priced between 7 and 12 a gallon depending on where you buy. I have used since 1997 and still have the original bar on my 026
image.jpeg

Last edited:
Oh, no! Now we have to factor in the seasonal formulas?

Oh, no! Now we have to factor in the seasonal formulas?
No I use summer year round, I usually don't cut when it's below 10 degrees and that's when you need winter as the summer is to thick to pour at that point.

No I use summer year round, I usually don't cut when it's below 10 degrees and that's when you need winter as the summer is to thick to pour at that point.
Whew. You'll never see me cutting that cold lol.

Reactions: D8Chumley
That is when I had rather cut. No copperheads and rattlers to worry about. Also, easier to limb without all the leaves.
I'll sure go along with the leaves thing. I'm cutting a bunch of alder falls before the woods get too tangled up.

I'll cut down to 20*F, but I've cut below that in emergencies. Cutting so I can skid logs on frozen ground makes things easier.

Usually mosquitos and snow dictate my cutting season. I don't start in th fall until the mosquitos are gone then stop when The snow makes it tough. Start again as the snow recedes, stop when I see the first mosquito.

I use summer formula year around, but when it gets cold I keep the bar oil in the truck cab near the heater.

Status
Not open for further replies.