Bar Oil

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hurricane said:
I did not see any grade or winter / summer on the label. How do you tell.

Y'know. . . I'm not sure. The label on my jug is long gone and it's been literally 5+ years since I bought bar oil.

I guess if it is like honey it is summer grade and like 30 weight oil it is winter grade. I like the thinner grade.

I use Medium in Winter and Heavy in Summer. I get two tanks of gas to one tank of oil.

I cut about 20 cords per year and go thru about 5 gal. of bar oil. It seems like this year bar oil really started to go up in price.I did find a local wholesaler that I can buy from that is a lot cheaper.

NHFarmer said:
I cut about 20 cords per year and go thru about 5 gal. of bar oil...
If the oil is red it must look like a chainsaw massacre crime scene.

One time a few years back I was cutting wood and I tripped and fell with the saw, I got up and seemed OK, Then I looked down and my leg was covered in blood. I thought I was going to pass out until I discovered that the cap had come off the saw and covered my leg in bar oil. Since then I really try and stay away from the red stuff.

Hurricane said:
... and it goes through my saw like water.

I've cut over 7 cords with my 350 and have gone through just a little over 1/2 gallon. Maybe your oil setting needs to be adjusted?

Status
Not open for further replies.