Barbecuing with pellets :) The cheap way & washing your pellets ;-)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Elad

Oct 31, 2008
Northern Mn
Wanting a wood flavor but takes a long time to get down to the wood coals (gas is for girls), I thought about using pellets as the fuel.
Even charcoal takes time to get em ready for a hungry bear. Pellets far cheaper too than charcoal as well :)

A cheap steamer pan with holes (recommend 1/4 max hole sizes") and a bag of any clean pellets (no resins)
and a old used dead barbecue stove and most important, the Honey & Lowery salted Marinated RibEyes = Yummie!!!

I used a pint of pellets which lasted 15 minutes - perfect timing.
3 minuted after using barbeque starter fluid to get em going, I was cooking them steaks!

PelletPitPic.jpg

BarbequePellets.jpg

BarbqRibEye-Pelletized.jpg

Go ahead and drool. Be sure to clean yer keyboard

Even though the pellets are 10" below, I found this to be way TOO HOT!
I ended up using a 3rd grate to put lava rocks on, below the cooking grate... (no picture-yet)

Be sure to watch your steaks if you put honey on them - burns easy. But I'll bet ya, them would be the
best tasting steaks ever. Everyone likes em. You don't taste the honey, but the steaks melt in your mouth :coolsmile:

=====================================================================

What to do with your old washing machine... Have Tools? Start scavenging parts...
Otherwise, check your appliance repair center (how I got mine) and see if they have, or can save a stainless steel drum for you.
There getting more rare now as new ones use plastic drums. Others been using the drums for garden planters.

I've experimented using pellets in a stainless steel washing machine drum. Wow, big flames as you can see :)
I was very surprised as to the amout of heat this generated without any forced air. So hot, it blued the steel :bug:

PelletExpWasherDrum.jpg

PelletExpWasherDrum0.jpg

PelletExpWasherDrum2.jpg

PelletExpWasherDrumAsh.jpg

Perhaps I will make my own barbecuing grilling furnace using a slow rotating round perforated drum as the pit would be self cleaning.
KISS it! (keep it simple stupid)
When I get time and winter is gone, I will get the hand grinder out and cut the drum down to a workable size..

No motor? Bet a hamster will really get this running in circles real fast :lol:

thanks alot man...the wife was looking over my shoulder, now I'm fixing to fire up the grill
in 15 degree weather so she can have a steak.

Nutting wrong with ribeyes but tonight was supposed to be football, hotwings and cold beer in my wood pellet warmed man cave.

Instead it's steaks on the barby and chilled to the bone.

Hope my steaks taste as good as yours look.

Opps... Sorry...

At least with this setup, your not outside very long. Get it all ready during a commercial, fire it up on next commercial, flip on next one, done at 3rd one :)
Enjoy them steaks :)

Naw...it's all good man.

I'm gonna have to try that honey...
Do your marinate in it or just baste them once on the grill?

I usually pour it on a few hrs before grilling, sometimes right away too . If I plan ahead, I'll pit it in a baggie over night :)
I 1st put on the Lowery seasoning then poke it with a fork then top off with honey.
The longer its on it, the sweeter it is :)

I also request at restaurants all the time - I tell the waitress to tell the chef to put honey on it before cooking :)
If they do it on the grill like one chef did it 1/2 way through cooking of it, I get the honey taste :-/, so I'd do it beforehand and let it soak into them pokes holes.

Remember - you have to watch it more closely as honey will burn - just don't over burn it to charcoal :snake:

lots of different pellets available for cooking... mesqite, apple, cherry, etc.

We sell Green Mountain Grills and they have their own brand of Cooking Pellets - Premium Gold Blend. These are food grade wood pellets, all hardwood with no additives. I would be a little careful with non food grade pellets. Also - I would look to use a good hardwood pellet like Turman, Greenway both are all OAK from a flooring mill.

Thats why I use a traeger grill and cherry wood pellets. What I dont get from the Traeger is that direct flame searing/charring action. Just this past week, I cooked some tenderloins over a real cherry wood fire that had burned down to coals. Overcooked them a little but still delicious. I'm gonna try your idea on my buddies gas grill with some Traeger cherry pellets when I get a chance.

10-4 Frank. I too want some flames.
I did buy a pellet smoker but returned it unused after reading about all the maintenance and it was only a smoker, no flames. It was on its last day of a sale when I walked into Gander Mt. so had to grab it quick or loose the sale price.

I also bought a few bags of flavored pellets (hickory & apple), but I cannot tell and difference in taste. Plus its a buck a pound. Guess these are good for smoking only (no idea).
Like with charcoal cooking, I sometimes toss in some wet (pellets burn too hot for dried strips) Birch Bark strips for flavoring. You be surprised at its wooden flavor. And its free. Just find a tree, rip & run :)

Idea of this post is "simple & cheap"

Been awhile, but I made some honey soaked porterhouses steaks last night. -6F so I didn't stick around to toss in birch bark. Just pellets.
Ran in to cook up some sweet onions & portabella mushrooms cooked in butter & peanut oil & a little seasalt.
A quick run outside to flip em over and back to my onions.
10 minutes of barbecuing, am eating medium done cooked 16oz steaks with my toppings %-P
O, Yea, its was very tasty :exclaim:

Momma that sounds good. I'll say this for my pellet smoker/cooker. It's 5 years old, I leave it out in the snow and I have yet to perform maintanence on it. Of course, now that I typed this...

Status
Not open for further replies.