Looking at Pellet Stoves - Quadra fire Santa Fe - Questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

burtman4

Oct 16, 2014
Maryland
Remodeling my basement and updating my old wood burning insert. I have a ranch and the basement area that the pellet stove will service is 1200 sq feet or so. I have a Kuuma Vapor Fire wood furnace in the other part of the basement that feeds the whole house including the basement, but during the real cold days and the way I have my system balanced, this part of the basement will stay around 66-68 when the main part is 72. Been thinking of a pellet stove to augment this area in the rare times that its real cold and I have company staying and need a little additional heat. Will add heat and some ambiance too.

Looking for a smaller stove, with a modern look that is simple, yet with some reliability. I keep going to the Santa Fe for some reason. First question is, are there any other pellet stoves that are smaller with a modern look that I should also consider, or is the Santa Fe decent for this application. I bet it will get used a dozen times or so in a year.

Second question is on installation. I have a 8" stainless liner in a masonry chimney the was there for the fireplace insert Wondering if I will need to run another liner for the pellet stove all the way up, or can I just can connect to this liner. I haven't been able to make to my local quadra fire dealer yet to ask. Figured I would see what the thoughts were here.

Located in Southern Maryland for reference.

If that part stays at 66-68*, then a pellet stove is a fairly expensive way to raise it a degree or two when there is company. Especially a Sante Fe that looks like it is going for around $3k (new). The pellet stove would only run for a short time before shutting itself off. If using the manual option (or whatever it is called in Quadrafire speak), then I would think the basement would get pretty hot in a short time.

Maybe there is an LP/NG option that would be cheaper and look as nice?

That is my 2 cents. But, it's your money and your remodel so you shouldn't necessarily listen to me.

Reactions: Ssyko
Good points. My wife has asked about a gas insert, though I have no gas option in my house and wasn't sure I wanted to start for this. I have also thought about a mini-split just to augment this area when needed. Thanks for input.

Reactions: bogieb
Yeah, I'd look at electric baseboard for that. Its cheap, and silent. And best yet, in no maintenance.

Good points. My wife has asked about a gas insert, though I have no gas option in my house and wasn't sure I wanted to start for this. I have also thought about a mini-split just to augment this area when needed. Thanks for input.

If you want ambience, perhaps an electric fireplace or stove? I don't know anything about them, but the Duraflame electric stove looks decent (on my monitor anyway - LOL) and is cheap at a couple hundred dollars. Or you can go all the way up to a really nice, fireplace looking unit that is $1,000+.

Don't get me wrong, I love both of my pellet stoves and would recommend them to anyone that is looking for an actual heat source. But for the uses you described, I think you would be generally disappointed in the long run by the cost, maintenance and inconvenience of having to keep pellets around.

Reactions: Ssyko and johneh