barefoot/hamers @ $250

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

corkman

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Dec 3, 2009
SE,Mass
hi all.just finished the install of my new enviro meridian.cant wait for sept/oct to roll around.have been making some calls on pellets and can get oaks @$275 and dragons @ $285.have already tried these and luv em both.since calling around i found barefoot and hamers @ $250.never tried the hamers.how would you all rate them against the others.

I burned Hamers and Barefoots this year. I would say the Barefoots had less fines, but both burned very hot (as tests have shown in this forum). I believe there was a review on the Internet that said there were two plants manufacturing Hamers, and they differed in quality... don't know if that's true. I paid $279 for both.

I have one ton of Barefoots left, and will continue with Hamers or Barefoots, depending upon price/availability.

I would say, based on what I've read on the forum, that both the Hamers and BareFoot are really good pellets. Being the same price, I'd split my order 1/2 Hamers, 1/2 Barefoot.

I have both and both burn good. Hamer's have more fines but burn hotter (IMO) and much less ash than the Barefoot. Get one of each.

I agree also with the Ash -- barefoots seem to have a lot more.

Just rubbing it in but AWF (outdoor storage) are in the area for $180 and I have ProPellets (100% indoor storage and free storage till next burn season) for $205.

Eric

kinsman stoves said:
Just rubbing it in but AWF (outdoor storage) are in the area for $180 and I have ProPellets (100% indoor storage and free storage till next burn season) for $205.

Eric

Eric,

Not too shabby a price on the Propellets, Plus the storage is a nice kicker. I burned both brands last year and have to give the AWF the nod over the propellets though. IMO AWF is making a better overall pellet. Propellets were just above middle of the road in my book.

jtakeman said:
kinsman stoves said:

Eric

Eric,

Not too shabby a price on the Propellets, Plus the storage is a nice kicker. I burned both brands last year and have to give the AWF the nod over the propellets though. IMO AWF is making a better overall pellet. Propellets were just above middle of the road in my book.

Them are fighting words!

AWF stores there pellets outside at the mill and that is anywhere from 2-6 months. This came right from a salesgirl at the mill that wanted me to sell her pellets. I passed. ProPellets are stored inside at the mill and that is the way I store them.

I have said this before and will say it again that most pellets come from their mill almost perfect. The storage by the mill, distributor, and retailer hurts the pellets the most. Pellets do not like water of any form be it condensation, rain, or humidity.

Eric

The pellets I tried were stored inside, I still wan't impressed. They are not as good as many other brands I burned this year. Sorry to pop you bubble! IMO they just didn't have the heat and were a bit ashy for me. The AWF I tried were stored outside and I picked them up on a rainy day too. Still beat the Propellets. Propellets could "not" hang with some of the killers like Barefoots, Cubex, Okies, and Hamers I burned this year.

imacman(Pete) got 2 bags from when I traded with him. Pete what did you think of them??

jtakeman said:
The pellets I tried were stored inside, I still wan't impressed. They are not as good as many other brands I burned this year. Sorry to pop you bubble! IMO they just didn't have the heat and were a bit ashy for me. The AWF I tried were stored outside and I picked them up on a rainy day too. Still beat the Propellets. Propellets could "not" hang with some of the killers like Barefoots, Cubex, Okies, and Hamers I burned this year.

imacman(Pete) got 2 bags from when I traded with him. Pete what did you think of them??
Honestly, I thought they were a decent middle of the road pellet.....not super, but not bad either. If I could get them for $205 here, I'd burn 'em. I did burn the AWF too, and I have to agree w/ Jay....a better pellet.

Sorry Eric....but I have to be honest.

corkman said:
hi all.just finished the install of my new enviro meridian.cant wait for sept/oct to roll around.have been making some calls on pellets and can get oaks @$275 and dragons @ $285.have already tried these and luv em both.since calling around i found barefoot and hamers @ $250.never tried the hamers.how would you all rate them against the others.
i would split my order like imacman said. with hamers and barefoots not a bad price for your area

Corkman, where did you call for those prices?

If you have'nt already, check w/ CTPellets and Long Pond Stove Shop, They've got some great Prices and Long pond will store 'em till Sept.

barefoot and hamers @ alternative heat in acushnet and the dragons and oakies at j+s trucking in berkley.
where are CT and Long pond located

just checked out CT and Long pond .great prices indeed but i'm in mass on boston south shore and they're both in CT.the web site says CT does'nt deliver outside CT and not sure on long pond.i think with delivery added to those prices anyway ,it would end up being more.the two stores mentioned above are a 15 min drive from my house and i have a 12ft cube van so i usually pick up.will call south shore wood pellet today to see what they have.i'm sitting on 20 bags of dragons ,left over from last season but want to start storing up now for next burn season.if i feed those to my new stove(hasn't tasted a pellet yet) to start out the season it will probably spit back anything i put in it after those.kinda like giving a dog some steak one night and expecting him to eat dried up food chunks the next.so i be needin some shoulder pellets.i love the dragons and oaks and will probably end up with another ton or two of those.i had been burning green team for a long time but @ $299 per ton at lowes they can stick those where the sun dont shine.with that said,it looks like either barefoot or hamers could end up being my shoulder pellet.just got a warm fuzzy feelin.
i took today off work as the new stove installation is complete and inspection is today.will get you all some pics,hopefully today after inspection.

Good luck w/the inspection, and pics are always a +++!

inspection went well today.now if i could only have some cold weather.it's tough sittng in a room with a brand spankin new stove having to wait for 4 or 5 months for first fire.

corkman said:
inspection went well today.now if i could only have some cold weather.it's tough sittng in a room with a brand spankin new stove having to wait for 4 or 5 months for first fire.

Did you do your "burn-in" on the stove yet? That would give you about 2-3 hours of burning, but be ready to open the windows to vent the paint/oil fumes.

didn't think i should.just figured i'd wait till the fall.but if a cold snap should roll thru then i'll spark her up

Well..........It was awful chilly the last few evenings..........Did ya do it????

corkman said:
didn't think i should.just figured i'd wait till the fall.but if a cold snap should roll thru then i'll spark her up

Better to do it now if at all possible (chilly morning?) than to wait until you really need the stove for heat.....find out about any "issues" now.

Status
Not open for further replies.