barefoot/oakies

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

corkman

Minister of Fire
Dec 3, 2009
SE,Mass
hi all.my replacement stove is scheduled to arrive on monday.i started from scrath on everything.all my vent is re-done outside and i believe my EVL is now at 16 as opposed to 25.i've been burning green team since the beginning of season but after reading the many posts here about oakies and barefoot i just have to try some.my stove has been on the factory settings for the 3 years that i had it.i never touched them because the manual says not to.for the most part i ran my stove on 4/3 with the factory settings.the heat was addequate but could have been better.i have a 2,200 sqft two story.my stove is in the room at the back of the house.ceiling is 10ft high but i do have a ceiling fan which helps move the heat.room does have a lot of glass and the walls are insulated.any suggestions on what i should do in regards to the settings on my stove to adequately heat just the bottom floor of my house.i have a furnace on both levels.so the top floor would have heat even if the stove didnt kick any heat up the stairway.
i plan on burning barefoot ($250 ton/berkley Ma) or oakies ($260 ton/acushnet Ma) once th new stove is up and running.
what should my settings be and how are those prices.
this is also the coldest weekend we've had this year and here i am stoveless.

$250.00 for Barefoots around MA isn't bad at all.

i've never tried either one.do you have a preference and why

Don't know your stove so cannot comment on settings, but IMO both Barefoot
and Okanagans are good quality pellets.

If you can, get a few bags of each to try out first before buying in bulk.

Hey corkman, glad to hear about the new stove arriving Monday.....too bad it wasn't yesterday, though.

As for the heat settings, wait until you finish doing the "burn-off" of the stove (do that on heat setting 5...the fan can be anything from 5 to 9). That is usually going to take 2-3 hours, so you'll get a real good idea of what kind of heat you'll be getting.

As for the pellets, both the barefoots and oakies are great pellets, by all accounts. And being that their only $10 difference in price, get the one that's easiest for you....are you picking them up yourself, or having them delivered? Either way, I'm sure you'll like burning either one.

Price wise, IMO, those prices are a little on the high side, but that may just be because of where you are. What are other pellets running price wise, near you?

EDIT: I'll be VERY interested in how that stove runs with the "new & improved" exhaust system.

greene team at lowes are $270
corinth $250
curran $270
energex $280
new england $300

corkman said:
corinth $250
curran $270
energex $280
new england $300

WOW :gulp: Those are some high prices. Looks like you'll be getting the Oakies or Barefoot :)

My stove said, "yummy" , when I dumped the bags of Okies and Barefoot I had into the hopper.

If the price gets reasonable and $299/ton isn't as far as I'm concerned, I'll likely buy some for next year, but if they don't I can get some more Granules LG, my stove likes them as well.

Let's see have room in the garage currently for several more 1.5 ton skids so space isn't an issue.

i had a feelin those prices were good for a quality pellet compared to the ones mentioned above.i tried all of the above except for the corinth and wasn't impressed and the only one really talked about on this threa was green teamso i think that speaks for itself.

macman said:
corkman said:
corinth $250
curran $270
energex $280
new england $300

WOW :gulp: Those are some high prices. Looks like you'll be getting the Oakies or Barefoot :)

Yeah, NH isnt far behind in pricing. HD around here still wants 249 for Stove Chow. I cant vouch for Barefoots as I have not tried them, but the Okies are well worth 260 in comparison to your other choices. I have used Okes, Green Team and NEWP...get the Okies

just picked up a tone of oakies 2 weeks ago for 265.00, and barefoots are 290.00 around here.......i would jump on those prices

Think that high, anything at Lowes here in central Maine is 260 a ton (Greene Team, Premier). Oakies are $6 a bag or 390 for a 70 bag lift. Prices have been this way for a couple of years now.
Cheapest stuff is Corinth at 250 or so.

Where in Acushnet, Ma are you getting Okanagan's for $260.00

I'll have to stop by and spend some $$$

I am looking this week.

Thanks,
---Nailer---

I was all set to go buy a pallet (65 bags) of oakies from BJ's at $4.99 a bag There is a 15% surcharge if you don't have a membership. If you have a membership ($45.00 a year) you get $20.00 off a a pallet. Today I found out a coal dealer a mile up the road has barefoot at $250 a ton. Im leaning towards my local coal dealer.

dhungy said:
I was all set to go buy a pallet (65 bags) of oakies from BJ's at $4.99 a bag There is a 15% surcharge if you don't have a membership. If you have a membership ($45.00 a year) you get $20.00 off a a pallet. Today I found out a coal dealer a mile up the road has barefoot at $250 a ton. Im leaning towards my local coal dealer.

If you plan on shopping at BJ's to save $$ on other stuff the rest of the year to make up the $45, then get the membership and the Oakies. Otherwise, go with the Barefoot's. They are a really good pellet.

dhungy said:

If you plan on shopping at BJ's to save $$ on other stuff the rest of the year to make up the $45, then get the membership and the Okies. Otherwise, go with the Barefoot's. They are a really good pellet.

Both are excellent pellets. If I were picking them up myself,
for that minimal price difference I'd buy whichever were
the closest to my house. Much luck and enjoy the warmth!

where on the south shore are u finding lignetics and how are they compared to oakie and barefoot performance wise and price wise

I’ve been using okies this entire season since I started with 8 ½ tons last fall in my basement. I purchased 5 bags of Barefoot this past week to try; the last bag is in the hopper now. I’m very satisfied with the heat output but I have much more ash than I’m use to. Local prices here are: Okanagans $250, Barefoot $275.

Yep BTU is correct, Ken @ SSWP in Holbrook carries all three,
but his prices are higher than those posted by the OP.

SSWP currently:

Okanagan - $285
Lignetics - $275
Barefoot - $265

Status
Not open for further replies.