1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Barefoot Pellet News (hope you stocked up)

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by arngnick, Mar 15, 2013.

1. arngnick

arngnick Member

Loc:
    Mansfield, PA

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. john193

john193 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southeast PA
    This is sad news. Just called my retailer about barefoots a week ago and he said come back late April when he takes delivery. :\
  3. bonesy

bonesy Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    NE PA
    Local news says they expect to open Friday:

TROY TOWNSHIP — A business in Bradford County expects to open Friday after a fire Thursday night.
    Crews responded around 6:30 p.m. to Barefoot Pellet, which makes wood pellets on Route 14 near Troy.
    The fire chief says a front loader started the fire which spread to piles of sawdust.
    The chief says the owner hopes to clear out the mess Friday morning.
  4. john193

john193 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southeast PA
    I'd be curious to know how much stock they lost and what that means for price. I liked the 265/ton.
  5. sheetmetaldan

sheetmetaldan New Member

Loc:
    Acushnet, Ma
    Fire sale? :ZZZ

I just broke the news to my local pellet dealer "hoping he had some" he hadn`t even heard the news yet. Obviously not happy to hear this as he has been waiting for a delivery for sometime! Feels like i`m never gonna get to try these!
  6. Shaw520

Shaw520 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Modena
    And as I read this thread,... the banner on my page is;[​IMG]
  7. briansol

briansol Minister of Fire

Loc:
    central ct
    ouch.

the ones that burned, are gone.
    the ones that didn't burn, are soaked with water, ash, soot, etc.

i never burned barefoots, but have heard nothing but good about them.
    wish them the best to turn around this disaster and hope they are insured for this sort of thing and can stay in biz.
  8. PoolGuyinCT

PoolGuyinCT Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Plymouth CT
    Must have been a hot fire!
  9. TJC

TJC New Member

Loc:
    Lancaster, NH
    Doesn't say but it almost sounds like it didn't touch the stock, just the sawdust storage area. With their other businesses they should be able to restock the sawdust pretty quickly.
    I hope so anyway. I really liked the bags I tried.
  10. CT Pellet

CT Pellet Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Torrington, CT
    Ohhhh those effin' rumor mills. Fire cought inside of one sawdust storage facility and was contained to about 12 cubic yards of sawdust. The roof of the steel structure will eventually need to be replaced, but the actual building itself is fine. The fire was not in any of the production or pellet storage areas and in fact the sawdust shed is a seperate isolated building altogether. The fire originated in the bucket of the loader presumably as the steel bucket scraped along the concrete floor, igniting the dust. I recieved a load of Barefoots on Saturday and I have three loads coming in this week, so no, they never had to "shut down." Typically, with these fires, the incidents themselves are dwarfed in comparison to the discussions that follow. This fire, although an accident, was nowhere near catastrophic, and they are running 100% right now.
  11. subsailor

subsailor Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Winthrop, Maine
    Not as bad as the mill (Geneva) that blew up here in Maine a few years back.
  12. Dollabill

Dollabill New Member

Loc:
    Between Augusta and Lewiston Maine
    Subsailor I almost forgot about that ! my friend does alot of electrical work for them they had little money and he was paid offf with pellets ! For sometime he sold them !
  13. TJC

TJC New Member

Loc:
    Lancaster, NH
    Like I figured, only the sawdust storage area. Good.
    Hopefully my dealer has his orders in for these as they were impressive. I'll be ordering up 5 tons or so for next season.
  14. Ejectr

Ejectr Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Brimfield, MA
    Jees...When I was in the Navy on a carrier, we had fuel, ammunition, rockets, missiles, bombs, jet engines that threw out flame 10 yards launching off the cats and every other source of ignition known to man and not one fire. These pellet companies can't seem to stay away from the flames.