1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Barely any Heat Coming from my XXV after a Full Cleaning

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by Donn Fletcher, Feb 7, 2013.

1. Donn Fletcher

Donn Fletcher New Member

Loc:
    South Western NH
    Hi Folks, any suggestions here? Today I gave my Harman XXV a complete cleaning. The basic clean out: scraping pot, brushing ash, vacuum, and then the full clean: Brushed out the vent pipe/exhaust, removed the back cover and vacuumed and brushed the fan( that is a pain in the but to get to) and than the other side I cleaned out the box that gets the pellet fines. After putting everything back and turning the stove I'm getting nothing for heat. It's blowing no more than 250 degrees from the blower and that with the fan on high and the temp dial cranked all the way up. Ive tried it both on room temp and stove temp getting the same results.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. turbosporsche

turbosporsche Member

Loc:
    Shelton,ct
    Maybe a wire is disconnected or try cleaning it again
  3. Mr. Spock

Mr. Spock Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SW MA
    Hey Donn, did that cleaning include the combustion fan and flue area, ESP probe and tee clean out? In other words a complete exhaust path deep clean?
  4. Donn Fletcher

Donn Fletcher New Member

Loc:
    South Western NH
    Yes it was deep clean. I'm wondering if something happened when I pulled the fan out with a wire
  5. Mr. Spock

Loc:
    SW MA
    Hmm...how dirty was it? I am wondering if it just seems cooler now due to the exhaust path venting better. The flame look good? Is the convection blower running?

:: edit :: 250 coming out of the convection air sounds good
  6. P38X2

P38X2 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Jaffrey, NH
    You didn't whack the ESP, did you?
  7. Donn Fletcher

Donn Fletcher New Member

Loc:
    South Western NH
    I don't think I touched the ESP at all. I've never done anything with it it's coiled up in the back. Seems to get a good a reading like that.
  8. Donn Fletcher

Donn Fletcher New Member

Loc:
    South Western NH
    It
    was pretty dirty. I use a cheap Ryobi laser temp gun I bought at Home Depot to locate drafts in the house to get a temp reading from the blowing air. It's usually reading over 400. The flame looks small and way at the back of the burn pot.
  9. Mr. Spock

Loc:
    SW MA
    I am confused. You did a complete clean but didn't remove and clean the esp? How did you ensure the back end of the exhaust flue was clean?
  10. P38X2

P38X2 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Jaffrey, NH
    You're referring to the Room temp sensing probe. The ESP is in the exhaust path in the stove. Not sure exactly where it is on the XXV.
  11. Donn Fletcher

Donn Fletcher New Member

Loc:
    South Western NH
    Ha ha ha now I'm confused. Where is the ESP I've always thought that was the coiled up wire. As far as the back of the stove I just removed the fan and the cover on the other side
  12. Mr. Spock

Loc:
    SW MA
  13. Mr. Spock

Loc:
    SW MA
    Did that help?
  14. Donn Fletcher

Donn Fletcher New Member

Loc:
    South Western NH
    Now I know where it is. It looks for me to get to that are I would need to remove venting which makes me a little nervous. Now is it possible with me using a vent brush cleaning out the exhaust from outside the house I could have harmed something?
  15. Mr. Spock

Loc:
    SW MA
    What is your vent configuration? If your vent goes strait out P38X2 may be right. You might have damaged the ESP. Also may have packed some ash into exhaust flue.
  16. Donn Fletcher

Donn Fletcher New Member

Loc:
    South Western NH
    I'm heading back to house right now I'll snap a couple of pics of my venting and post them.
  17. Enviro Mini Owner

Enviro Mini Owner New Member

Loc:
    East Hampton, NY
    You guys know a lot more about pellet stoves, I have only been in the game about 6 weeks, and I do not know your stove but I did not seat my ash pan quite correctly and it was letting in a draft from below and damned if I could not get the stove above 220 degrees at whatever setting I tried. I discovered it on the clean out I did not long after, and right back to burning hot. I was very relieved.
  18. Donn Fletcher

Donn Fletcher New Member

Loc:
    South Western NH

Attached Files:

19. Dollabill

Dollabill New Member

Loc:
    Between Augusta and Lewiston Maine
    Donn a few weeks ago a fellow i wont mention his name Had the same or similar problem turns out the ROOM TEMP Probe was caught in the back of the stove he removed the side cover and placed the wire on the floor ....stove works fine now !
  20. Hoot23

Hoot23 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Alfred, Me
    Is that room sensor supposed to be coiled up like that.
  21. Mr. Spock

Loc:
    SW MA
    Ya. It looks like you could have made the bend with your brush and hit the ESP. It's also possible that ash got pushed over that downward turn and piled up at the bottom. You could try the leaf blower method to clean that out. You can get at the ESP by removing the left panel. It is located on top of the exhaust flue right behind the flange. You could at least pull to out (gently) to make sure it's not bent and give it a clean while your there.
  22. P38X2

P38X2 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Jaffrey, NH
    Ya, I don't know where the ESP is in relation to the back of the stove...if that makes sense. I gotta assume it's in relatively the same location when looking in the exhaust outlet from the rear of the stove. If that's the case, it would be VERY easy to hit it with a brush coming in from the termination, particularly if yer vent is a short straight shot.
  23. Mr. Spock

Loc:
    SW MA
    Ya it's possible you called it. It not far away from where the vent collar meets the flange. About 3-4 " in. Donn will need to pull it out and give it a look over. The other immediate possibility is that area is packed with ash.
  24. P38X2

P38X2 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Jaffrey, NH
    I think that's the OEM spot. I ran mine like that for several months. Worked fine. I've since uncoiled it and hid it stealthily. I don't think it made a bit of difference. Of course, YMMV. If it's tucked UNDER the rear panel, I'd imagine that'd be no good.
  25. Hoot23

Hoot23 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Alfred, Me
    I have a corner install also. It's just below the hopper height so we can't see it