Barely keeping up with the demand.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
But as they say sometimes "we get too soon old and too late smart".

Another thing I have thought about is getting a cord or two of higher BTU wood for next January/February. The Ash and Pine I get off of my property. So when it is cold I am burning all Ash. But when it is this cold it would be nice to have some higher BTU wood.

Another thing I have thought about is getting a cord or two of higher BTU wood for next January/February. The Ash and Pine I get off of my property. So when it is cold I am burning all Ash. But when it is this cold it would be nice to have some higher BTU wood.

I have been burning some very dry white pine and man does it burn fast and hot. Doesn't last long but the temp rise is steep! I actually enjoy burning it. Been using last of the reserves (mostly pine) during the day and saving the denser hardwoods exclusively for the nights. Down to my last 4 wheelbarrows of this years supply. Ordered two cord of mixed hardwood to be delivered in the morning. Thank goodness as I shouldn't have to burn any oil. For now at least.

Reactions: Gasifier
I have been burning some very dry white pine and man does it burn fast and hot. Doesn't last long but the temp rise is steep! I actually enjoy burning it. Been using last of the reserves (mostly pine) during the day and saving the denser hardwoods exclusively for the nights. Down to my last 4 wheelbarrows of this years supply. Ordered two cord of mixed hardwood to be delivered in the morning. Thank goodness as I shouldn't have to burn any oil. For now at least.

I hear that Ken. The Pine does burn hot and fast. I stick with the Ash during these really cold temps unless I am going to be home on a day off. Then I will burn a mix of Ash and Pine. I am going to look around and see what kind of wood I can buy a couple of cord of that would be a higher BTU. The only thing about Oak is that it takes so long for it to dry well. I can go ahead and buy some of that for two years out and get that process started. But as I type this I think I don't want to pay for it when I have plenty of firewood out in the woods. And there are not that many days when it is this cold. It has warmed up already. It is only -15 this morning with a slight wind! !!!

What about the Bio-bricks or something of that type? Never used them BTW. I'm spoiled, all rock maple and beech

Haven't tried them. I'm too cheap. ;lol I like the price of my wood. A little work is a good price. I did try throwing some wood pellets in that I use in the stove at camp. This was long before this really cold stuff. I had some that were not that good of pellets. I did not notice any difference in heat output. The boiler never farted any differently.

White pine, jack pine, red pine and aspen is all that I burn, all the time. One big white pine that was killed by lightning provided over 3 full cords - that's for next year's heating season.

White pine, jack pine, red pine and aspen is all that I burn, all the time. One big white pine that was killed by lightning provided over 3 full cords - that's for next year's heating season.

Jim,

I see you are getting the extreme cold temps as well. The advantage you have over someone like me is having more storage. The Pine burns through so fast that I have to keep a harder, more dense wood in my boiler when it is this cold. Because my 400 gallons of storage and boiler will not heat my home's demand long enough even with the full load of wood in the boiler. I am often gone for 12 hours at a time. About the only thing I could do is try to charge my basement like storage, which I have done in the past. But right now I have been leaving the basement zone right down on 60 so it never calls for heat. And when below -10 I am keeping another zone above the garage turned down, because we are not on that side of the house (except to do laundry or bills in the office, etc.) and can give the boiler some relief. I am still very happy with my system. Like Chris Hoskin says above. "wood boiler not quite able to keep up at -20 = perfectly sized". I may decide in the future to add more storage. But the system works nice the way it is. I am still getting 7 hours of sleep even with the temps at -25. That was one of my major goals. I did not want to have to get out of bed in the middle of the night. The other night it was literally -28 or -30 depending on thermostat and we had a slight wind. I set my alarm to get me up six hours after I loaded the boiler full. When the alarm went off I hit the snooze a couple of times and I came down stairs after about six and a half hours or so the boiler had a decent bed of red coals in it. Boiler was 175 and tank was 165. Time to load it up. This weekend I am off and will be able to burn some of the White Pine.==c

Jim,

I got two huge white pines that are down as well. They'll be processed when I get around to them. Diameter on one of them has to be 20-24" as they are old timers and many arms (white pine that has branched extensively). Should be fun.

I hear that Ken. The Pine does burn hot and fast. I stick with the Ash during these really cold temps unless I am going to be home on a day off. Then I will burn a mix of Ash and Pine. I am going to look around and see what kind of wood I can buy a couple of cord of that would be a higher BTU. The only thing about Oak is that it takes so long for it to dry well. I can go ahead and buy some of that for two years out and get that process started. But as I type this I think I don't want to pay for it when I have plenty of firewood out in the woods. And there are not that many days when it is this cold. It has warmed up already. It is only -15 this morning with a slight wind! !!!

What about black locust? Got about a cord and half this summer from a utility clearing. Waiting for me to split this winter. Hear it burns very hot. Hickory burns very hot as well. Split a lot of that (shagbark hickory) recently as well.

Got my first cord delivered this morning. Stacked it while he went back for the next cord. After stacked yielded only about 0.6 cord and alot of punky stuff. He was a little embarrased and went back for another load to make it right. He seems honest I think just miscalculated what his 8x12 trailer holds or didn't know any better. The stuff is definitely dry though. He even insisted on showing me pictures of it under covered pole barn overhand. $185 cord. Not bad for this time of year and ofcourse for dry stuff. Guess I'm back in business. No more scrimping this season.

I've purchased wood form dozens and dozens of vendors over the years and I may have received a full cord twice. First off most firewood customers are not as ambitious as you and I. I've surprised several vendors when they have returned to deliver the second cord that the first was stacked and measured. Some vendors don't even know how to calculate cu. ft. and that also goes for many of the customers.

I've heard all the excuses and a few apologies. "It's a new truck and we're still experimenting on how to load it. Thank you for helping". or "with all the other stacks of wood around here, how do I know you didn't just stack it in those" etc. etc.

What about black locust? Got about a cord and half this summer from a utility clearing. Waiting for me to split this winter. Hear it burns very hot. Hickory burns very hot as well. Split a lot of that (shagbark hickory) recently as well.

I don't know of anyone who sells Black Locust around here. And I don't have any on my property. Mostly for sale around here is Ash and Maple, sometimes Oak. But I would have to wait a good amount of time for Oak to season well. I will take a look around and see what I can find. I may have to buy a load of logs to get what I want. But I have a good pile of wood in the works right now that I have felled and bucked up from my property. All White Ash and White Pine from the property. Probably 4 + cord so far. I like the price of it, and the property needs to be thinned out as well.

$185 cord. Not bad for this time of year and ofcourse for dry stuff.

That's a steal for this time of the year as long as it isn't to punky.

$200 delivered green around here.

K

Diameter on one of them has to be 20-24" as they are old timers and many arms (white pine that has branched extensively). Should be fun.
The grandkids counted 105 rings on the lightning tree.

That's a steal for this time of the year as long as it isn't to punky.

$200 delivered green around here.

K

The make it right load he brought appears to have very little punky stuff and is very nice Cherry/Maple/Ash mix. All in all I am pleased. Confident I have more than 2 cords delivered overall for $370 and if do ever have to order from him again he knows that I mean business and expect to get what I pay for.

Reactions: flyingcow
The make it right load he brought appears to have very little punky stuff and is very nice Cherry/Maple/Ash mix. All in all I am pleased. Confident I have more than 2 cords delivered overall for $370 and if do ever have to order from him again he knows that I mean business and expect to get what I pay for.

By the way, split a number of pieces and moisture meter reports between 16-19% so definitely dry.

Reactions: flyingcow
I don't know of anyone who sells Black Locust around here. And I don't have any on my property. Mostly for sale around here is Ash and Maple, sometimes Oak. But I would have to wait a good amount of time for Oak to season well. I will take a look around and see what I can find. I may have to buy a load of logs to get what I want. But I have a good pile of wood in the works right now that I have felled and bucked up from my property. All White Ash and White Pine from the property. Probably 4 + cord so far. I like the price of it, and the property needs to be thinned out as well.
http://newjersey.craigslist.org/for/4261338803.html
How far? Gotta assume each pallet is actaully about a third of a cord but even then thats still a decent price.

No worries. It's warmed up here. I went out today.13 with a 10mph wind. I'm okay. freezinghomer.png

Reactions: McKraut
After a brief reprieve it is down to -10 with a wind that is not warm! <> I have realized a couple of things with the Gun in these temperatures. This year I decided to vent my intake outside. Any time their is a "huffing and puffing" issue any smoke smell ends up outside instead of in the basement. It is working great. While testing a few things with the boiler I opened the damper all the way in hopes of getting a few more horsepower out of it when things got real cold. I was still happy with the boilers performance but it was barley keeping up with demand. I then decided to close the damper back down and see what difference it would make by not having so much of that frigid air coming in at once. It has made a difference. The boiler is able to heat itself up faster and keep up with demand easier. Granted, it is not 25 below zero like it was when this thread started. But with a wind and at -10 it is getting close to the same feel. As usual, sometimes the operator has to look at what he is doing and make some adjustments! ;lol

When its below 10 with a wind i need to keep the supply temps to my baseboard above 165 otherwise the house temp starts slowly falling. My storge cannot do this for the twelve hours during the day monday and tuesday that i will be at work. Will be letting the oil boiler flex a bit. It barely keeps up itself. Pumping full time my storage only gets me about five hours after the fire goes out before its below that magic 165*. Then its a great deal of effort to recharge while bringing house back to temp. I want to add some staple up under frst floor.

This cold snap has been a good "real world" test for many here. It has shown them where they are and where they want to go with their design and their hardware.

Reactions: Coal Reaper
Status
Not open for further replies.