Bargain shopping for Englander 30-NC (Summer's Heat, etc)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.
I did my first burn outside on the back patio, with 24" stovepipe. Danno is right, it didn't get very hot.

I moved it indoors for the install, then did the 2nd burn on a fairly warm day. I got a nice long burn with the damper shut almost all the way. Didn't notice much smell.

Did the 3rd burn a few days later in a cold snap. I gave it a little more air, and it got plenty warm. It gave off a noticeable smell for the next three burns, all using the full capabilities of the stove without overfiring. The smell wasn't a horrible paint smell. It was more like the "burned dust" smell you get when you fire up a heater for the first time. My wife and kids noticed it, but we kept a window open and nobody died and now we're past it.

BTW, i installed mine solo with a good appliance truck. Just remove the bricks, and it's doable for one guy.

I was amazed when that HD thing showed up a second time. The only thing I can figure is that HD had committed for a fixed quantity at a price for the season and didn't sell enough. Since the stoves shipped from the ESW plant, not HD.

Surly their purchasing department smartened up after the second time.

I found another HD last summer in the Los Angeles area that had the $649 deal after the VA ones dried up. I bought mine from the store in VA last year about this time. That included free shipping across one t-hold. The shipping was changed to on-site drop a week after I got my stove.

I have found that HD does not have a clue as to their online policy, sales, or various store inventory. Hear say that they do not like employees that are too smart? They tend to get fired.

Oh, and I got a bonus from Obama on the stove, after they extended the 10% tax credit for 2012. So it was $584 total.

Reactions: raybonz
Status
Not open for further replies.