Barkley tiny house

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Manly

Minister of Fire
Aug 8, 2017
CT
I dont get why everyone judges tiny home owners. If it works for them great why does it matter to anyone else

I concur. They are not for everyone but they work for many. Since this posting started I decided this week to go out and see Barkley. I hadn’t spoken to him in a while as he tries to stay off the grid as much as possible. That’s what he calls it anyway, I call it being on the lamb. Anywho l drive out behind the tidal marsh where Barkley built his tiny house and wouldn’t you know he added a sun room on to his tiny house. It has thermal glass on three sides, opens up into his kitchen and has a 5.3 x 5 foot print. The 26.5 sq foot addiction gives this small house a big feel. Barkley invited me in for tea and we chatted a while. Unfortunately all the windows are fixed panes and it did get pretty warm after a while. Barkley is toying with the idea of putting a ceiling fan in the sun room. He does like his creature comforts.

He should put some shade cloth on top for the intensely sunny days.
https://www.growerssupply.com/farm/...ade_cloth;gs_sunblocker_bulk_shade_cloth.html

Actually while I was there Barkley took off his Hawaiian shirt and draped it over the south sunny side of the room. He’s a pretty sizable guy and the shirt covered the entire wall. It blocked out the intensity pretty well. Barkley called me last night and said after our previous meeting he started toying with the idea of a walkout deck off the sun room. Something small, maybe 2 x 3 foot with a railing was his plan. I told him the way he keeps expanding, his tiny house is going to become a small mansion.

Actually while I was there Barkley took off his Hawaiian shirt and draped it over the south sunny side of the room. He’s a pretty sizable guy and the shirt covered the entire wall. It blocked out the intensity pretty well. Barkley called me last night and said after our previous meeting he started toying with the idea of a walkout deck off the sun room. Something small, maybe 2 x 3 foot with a railing was his plan. I told him the way he keeps expanding, his tiny house is going to become a small mansion.
Yes, an old sheet would do the trick for that small space.

Yes, an old sheet would do the trick for that small space.

An sheet would cover most of the House. An old pair of drawers is about the right size for the sun room. If he goes forward with the 2x3 deck, I told Barkley I have old Travellers logo umbrella he can use as a canopy. It will be a bit large but add some old fashioned style to his digs. I did suggest Azek or Treks decking material to keep his maintenance to a minimum. He’s already talking party on the patio and he doesn’t even have the building permit yet. What an encourageable.

Reactions: Ashful
2 x 3 is a landing, not a deck. 3 people on it would be a crowd.

2 x 3 is a landing, not a deck. 3 people on it would be a crowd.

I mentioned the same to Barkley. His plan now is to put a 2' deep wrap around deck on the 5X5 foot sun room. That works out to a party hopping foot stomping 20 square feet of fun. I told Barkley he'd best put that rail all the way around to keep people from falling into the marsh. The parties can get a bit out of hand when Barkley is at the helm. Here's a shot of the Barkster in his sun room last time I was out to the marsh. He is a fun loving, tiny house living free spirit.

party time.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: moresnow
That tattoo on the forehead says it all.

That tattoo on the forehead says it all.

Yeah the forehead tattoo is a bit much. Barkley got that some years ago before he left government service. He usually lets his hair grow to cover it up, but he recently shaved his head for the summer. It will grow out again and a nice bowl cut covers up the tat. He does an exemplary job of reducing his carbon foot print. He is one of the greenest dudes I know. My Grandmother used to tell me, "Never judge a man by the tattoos on his face". I tend to agree with her.

Someone went to all that trouble and pain to get that tattoo, it is the perfect measure by which to judge them.

And I am sure your grandmother had something to say about tattoos, and I am sure that you are misquoting her.

Someone went to all that trouble and pain to get that tattoo, it is the perfect measure by which to judge them.

And I am sure your grandmother had something to say about tattoos, and I am sure that you are misquoting her.

Often people exhibit poor judgement during their youth. Such was the case with Barkley and his infamous tattoo. While still in government service, he was on a covert mission to infiltrate a gang of lizard smugglers working the southwestern desert areas. As he got deeper into the gang culture, he felt compelled to get some tats in order to keep his cover. His choice and location of said tattoos could have been better. I wasn't there, so I can't judge him. Grandma wouldn't judge him. Apparently you my friend feel the need to judge him. That is your prerogative. I will not judge you. FWIW, Barkley has paid a personal price for getting said tattoo while serving his country. When not wearing his hair in his usual bowl cut style, which is quite dashing if I may be so bold, he often must wear a toupee when working in the neural surgical center where he is director and head surgeon. A few time he has had to rush into emergency brain surgery without putting on his toupee. The tattoo can create a little bit of unease in the operating room. People can be judgemental about such things.

I think tiny houses are a more natural approach to living then an apartment. Buy a small plot of land and be your own person for the same money as being stuck in a box with people on all sides and below you.

Here's a shot of the Barkster in his sun room last time I was out to the marsh.

He appears to be inside a car - or am I missing the joke?

He appears to be inside a car - or am I missing the joke?

That is actually a custom made recliner that also serves as a bed. It has sides and a cover as well. Think of it as a tiny shelter inside a tiny house. Barkley needs extreme quiet and the feel of security when he sleeps at night. It's kind of a post traumatic disorder from his years of government service. It's what drove him to the tiny house concept. The addition of the sun room is a breakthrough for the Barkster.

I'm 15 years in on Fed G service. Are you telling me that this is what's in store for me? Do I have to get the tat? Before or after retiring?

I think 2500 sq ft is a “tiny house”.
Iv given up on the downsizing trend.I dont want a tiny car either. Wife also will only trade up, so its 3000SF or more. We will all get our tiny house when were DEAD:p

I'm 15 years in on Fed G service. Are you telling me that this is what's in store for me? Do I have to get the tat? Before or after retiring?

Tattoos are your choice. I am not a fan of them. Barkley opted for a tat when he was under cover and had infiltrated a gang of ruthless reptile smugglers operating in the Southwestern states. He felt uneasy thinking they might have suspected him as a federally. Once he got the tat the gang was totally at ease with him. Bartley went on to help take down one of the largest reptile smuggling cartels operating at the time. He left government service shortly after the big bust. The cartel put a big price on his head. He returned to medical school are got his neurologist degree. The government paid for his education. Good deal. Barkley specializes in robotic assisted brain surgery. When dancing at parties he always does the robot as a homage to his profession. Barkley opted for a tiny house for security purposes. He feels he can defend it easily if under attack and he can easily burn it down with a can of gasoline if nessesary. Makes good sense to me.

Ah - he's an operator who's way out of my league. I think I can forgo the tat.

Ah - he's an operator who's way out of my league. I think I can forgo the tat.

The Barkster was a force to be reckoned during his days of government service. The cartels still have a price on his head to this day. They have a long running vendetta with Barkley since he put them all out of the reptile smuggling business and forcing them all into other trades; auto body, brick laying, landscaping and the like. The cartels refer to him as el segunda, the name he used undercover. It must be a burden to have to constantly look over your shoulder every time someone enters a room, especially if it’s an operating room and you’re performing brain surgery. Barkley seems to take it all in stride though. He tells me coming home to the tiny house at night really puts him at ease. I hope you enjoy your tiny house if that’s the route you go.

Reactions: SeanBB
Hopefully Barkley is an alias in this thread. Sounds like he doesn't need extra publicity.

I'm still wondering if Barkley is a work of fiction or not . . . I mean it just sounds too strange to be true . . . but they do say truth can be stranger than fiction, so there is that . . .

I'm still wondering if Barkley is a work of fiction or not . . . I mean it just sounds too strange to be true . . . but they do say truth can be stranger than fiction, so there is that . . .
Manly fantasy is awesome... I keep reading his posts just to see what he will invent... reptiles smugglers LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.