baromatric fisher wood stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Jeffery Karate kid

Nov 12, 2018
What is Loc?
Does the Barometric Fisher Wood burner, rear 8" inlet work? Where can I find out if this works and does it leak smoke??? Jeffrey Karate kid, [email protected]

I have had 2 Baby Fisher wood burner stoves with 6" outlet in the back.

This Grandma Fisher square doors not arched. One 8" outlet on top one 8" inlet Barometric flapper on the back.

Can I use the new 6" pipe I have installed on this Grandma with the 8" outlet on top?

Last edited:
Reducing to 6 inches normally works fine with a good drafting chimney. Depending on your location, if in the U.S. it is not legal to reduce more than 1 inch or not legal to reduce at all. Colorado has adopted the ICC Family of Codes which does not allow any reduction of pipe or flue smaller than stove outlet. (ICC Mechanical Code governs venting of solid fuel appliances)

The inlet for the barometric damper works good. Cap the inlet and do not use when burning wood. Indoor air entering chimney does slow the draft as it is supposed to do and offers much better draft control than a manual damper. However, it also cools the chimney below 250* f which allows smoke particles to stick, which is creosote. As the creosote accumulates, it can catch fire in the chimney and the damper feeds the chimney fire oxygen. So cap the rear inlet for wood use. Install a manual damper if the chimney requires a damper to slow it down. Any type flue damper is a chimney control, which affects the stove by slowing the velocity of rising flue gasses. Burning coal does not create creosote, and the chimney system works fine with a barometric damper. Most coal burning appliances require a barometric damper to keep draft steady and the air flow through the coal bed constant and accurate.

Smoke will not leak out of an opening into the connector pipe or chimney. Rising gasses in the chimney flue create a low pressure area in the connector pipe and stove. Atmospheric air pressure is greater than the pressure in the stove, pipe and flue so air is PUSHED into the stove intakes which is what allows oxygen to the fire and makes the stove work. An air leak into the pipe or chimney flue above the fire also allows air outside of the pipe and flue INTO the lower pressure area, cooling the flue gas temperature and slowing draft. Which is the principal behind a barometric damper. Air will leak IN, not OUT.