Barometric damper location pictures included

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

goosegunner

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Oct 15, 2009
WI
I have been trying to fine tune my Econoburn 200. I installed a thermocouple right in the flue collar and saw temps as high as 640 with clean tubes. I moved the thermocouple to 15" above the center of the flue outlet and see temps in the mid 450 and less. But I have a barometric damper letting in cooler air. If I hold it shut the temp rises quickly but so does the draft. I am monitoring it with a Dwyer manometer.

So here is a picture of the damper install. It does maintain the correct draft but will it hurt anything in this location?

I have considered moving it but I am concerned about sparks in the boiler room. I have had the occasional puffing the slams the damper.

gg

Attachments

• Boilercomplete3.jpg
    Boilercomplete3.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 729
I'm not up on the specifications or recommendations, but that looks like a pretty good place for one to me. Seat of the pants says that since the smoke will be shooting straight up to the exit point from the point they get cooled by the BD, there would be less chance for creosote condensation & buildup. And there will be no creosote buildup on the damper itself. And it is doing it's job in regulating draft.

If there is concern about sparks coming out, could you put an oversized pipe cap over the BD to act as a baffle? If I explained that right.

maple1 said:
I'm not up on the specifications or recommendations, but that looks like a pretty good place for one to me. Seat of the pants says that since the smoke will be shooting straight up to the exit point from the point they get cooled by the BD, there would be less chance for creosote condensation & buildup. And there will be no creosote buildup on the damper itself. And it is doing it's job in regulating draft.

If there is concern about sparks coming out, could you put an oversized pipe cap over the BD to act as a baffle? If I explained that right.

I still might cap it with some type of screen. Maybe like a 8" metal kitchen strainer. The ones that look like screen.

Or use a cap and cut our area for screen material.

gg

Do you have the damper mounted below the exhaust outlet?
I don't know why but I always thought it's to be level or above.
Got me wondering if your location will stop the fumes better.

chuck172 said:
Do you have the damper mounted below the exhaust outlet?
I don't know why but I always thought it's to be level or above.
Got me wondering if your location will stop the fumes better.

Yes it is below the exhaust level. I don't get anything coming out of it unless I forget to open the window for make up air into the building.

I do get ash in the cap on the bottom of the barometric damper T.

gg

I have used mine there for a few years now. I taped a small chunk of metal inside my damper so when i did get a puff it did not push my damper all the way open.(past fully closed)

Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.